US buyer bought item, but international shipping wasn't an option

I had an item listed and a US buyer used the 'Buy it now' option. However, the only shipping options I had enabled were domestic options. I wasn't really keen on shipping overseas, but I guess I'll do it if he's willing to pay the postage. However, when I try to invoice him, it doesn't seem to be allowing me to set it for international postage. Is there any way that I can get the invoice to accept the international rate or do I have to cancel the sale or what?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If by any chance you're clicking the recalculate button when you enter the new postage price....don't - it's actually a "revert to original" button.

If that's not the issue,  I'm not really sure what would be preventing an invoice, unfortunately, but just for future reference, if you would like to stop international buyers from purchasing your items, go in to My Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements, click show > edit and select to block buyers with a primary postage address in countries that you don't post to. Some have advised it only works if you create an exclusion list, but so far - without one and having my listings set to post only to Australia - this block has prevented all attempts at purchasing my items from OS buyers unless they either request an exemption or change their postage address prior to purchase.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, it looks like I would need to create an exclusion list. And I guess I don't care where they are from if they pay the shipping cost, but I was a bit surprised that a US buyer bought it when there were no international shipping options for him to choose from.

I was clicking the recalculate button, but only because no dollar amount was showing in the postage field. Does that mean if I select an international method from the drop down box that it will just calculate it automatically on the invoice, based on the weight of the item?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@desolateeverafter wrote:

I was clicking the recalculate button, but only because no dollar amount was showing in the postage field. Does that mean if I select an international method from the drop down box that it will just calculate it automatically on the invoice, based on the weight of the item?

No, once you change the postage service, just type in the amount for P&H then click send. (Or, click "preview", if everything looks good, click "send information" ...or words to that effect, I'm not 100% sure of the exact wording. Smiley Very Happy ) as the invoice system is basically a "what you see is what you get" kind of thing. 

Some overseas buyers don't realise they are making an international purchase, so a direct message letting them know, plus advising of shipping costs might be the first step - especially if they're thinking it might get to them before Christmas. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If you don't want to sell internationally you don't need to create an exclusions list.

Go to your buyer preferences and tick the box to block buyers with a delivery address you do not post to.

Make sure when you list that no international delivery service is selected, if the fields are visible make sure they all say select a service then click on add/remove options and untick the box to show international postage.

If the International postage is not showing go in and tick the box to display it just to make sure no service is selected and if needed deselect then untick the box to show international.

Sounds complicated but it only takes a minute or two.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Yeah it stinks, I recently had an item specifically up for sale in a few key countries only "Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA and Canada"

and yet somehow unbeknown to me ebay allowed a buyer from Azerbaijan to make the buy it now purchase, now I am in the midst of a debacle trying to cancel this purchase that ebay never should have allowed to begin with, and having to deal with a customer from Azerbaijan who believes he has every right to buy the goods he bid on.

Whats the use of blacking out countries and specifying through ebay those countries you wish to sell into, when it just does diddly squat with no meaning or effectiveness at all. With all the technology available today you would believe a simple embedded program could easily exclude those buyers from unlisted countries to be dis-allowed for a purchase to go through.

Defies all understanding. ridiculous on ebay's behalf to say the least.

Now i am faced with a potential final value fee non refundable unless ebay can see the forest through the trees and see this order cancelled without any irredeemable fees attached.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Not only are you dragging up dead topics, but cross-posting the same message in multiple zombie threads!

Start your own topic if you have an issue and need advice, and only start one.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply