Unauthorised 'Safe Drop' item stolen.

Insured for $450. No mention of 'safe drop' when processing label at MyPost.

AusPost regarding safe drop...

Under the Safe Drop terms of use, we can’t be held liable when a Safe Drop has been approved for a delivery which is subsequently damaged or goes missing.

No safe drop approval given. Not even that Safe Drop option that was hard wired in the old Click and Send.

Screen shots recorded when I went back to MyPost and partly processed the same label again ( just to see if there was

some sneaky fine print ).

Still waiting on AusPost's investigation response. It's Christmas so nothing is going to happen quickly.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? I am interested in the outcome.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did the buyer authorise a Safe Drop without your knowlege?

If they did why are they coming back on you if the item is missing?

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

This is really odd. How could a buyer ever think responsibility under these circumstances could ever default to the seller? Although some do expect way more bang for their buck than they’re entitled to.

If they’re asking for help, sure, do what you can, which I think is very little. But, I hope there’s no expectations of refund or replacement. That simply is not kosher.

Melina.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

Insured for $450. No mention of 'safe drop' when processing label at MyPost.

AusPost regarding safe drop...

Under the Safe Drop terms of use, we can’t be held liable when a Safe Drop has been approved for a delivery which is subsequently damaged or goes missing.

No safe drop approval given. Not even that Safe Drop option that was hard wired in the old Click and Send.

Screen shots recorded when I went back to MyPost and partly processed the same label again ( just to see if there was

some sneaky fine print ).

Still waiting on AusPost's investigation response. It's Christmas so nothing is going to happen quickly.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? I am interested in the outcome.

If you don't add signature on delivery to a parcel, safe drop is automatically approved. If you do add signature on delivery but include a buyer's email address or phone number on the label, they are able to request safedrop.

If a phone number is on a parcel, they'll get an SMS on the day of delivery where they can text back one of 3 options, one of which is leave in a safe place, thus overriding SOD; if an email address is on there, they will get an email notification with the same delivery options, and / or can log into My Post to request safe drop.

This is why I leave email addresses and phone numbers off of the labels, as the whole point of me paying for SOD is because I don't want it safe droppped and put at risk (or redirected to a completely different address). I actually had a staff member hassle me about it the other week, saying I should be putting the info on there to make things easier for everyone and I had to explain that easier doesn't = safer.  😕

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Did you pay for a signature? I assume you did because it's usually required on anything that's insured for $300+. I know somewhere in the fine print there's something about some items with a signature being safe dropped at their discretion but I can't remember where I saw it. I think it may have been when I checked the tracking on something that I saw it, but not really sure.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Digi I have had a Safe Drop refused when there has been SOD on a parcel.

It is only automatic if it is an ordinary parcel.....my contractor automatically Safe Drops these parcels anyway.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Digi I have had a Safe Drop refused when there has been SOD on a parcel.

It is only automatic if it is an ordinary parcel.....my contractor automatically Safe Drops these parcels anyway.

If the label is created through something like eParcel, they can have it in their account settings that safe drop not be made available regardless of the info on there. This option isn't available in My Post business, as far as I am aware, so the only way to prevent it is to leave off the email / phone number. 

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

If you use eParcel, signature on delivery is a default inclusion at no extra cost. It took us over 6 months to get this signature on delivery function working properly on our eParcel interface (which now shows "Parcel Post + Signature" on the top "Charge Code" drop-down value list), with the help of Australia Post's CEO's "Corporate Secretary" and her appointed top "Inside Sales Manager". As for insurance, they are still working on that.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

unfortunately, i think you'll find that if the buyer has the default "safe drop permitted" set to on in their mypost settings - or if australia post sees it fit, the item will be safe dropped. 

a signature on delivery is now not required unless the value of extra cover is over $500. 

i'd be asking australia post for a photo of where the parcel was left and verifying with the buyer if they located it in that location or not. if they didn't, i'd assume the onus falls on them and i'd be fighting this one to death with ebay / paypal. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.00.34 pm.png

https://auspost.com.au/business/shipping/domestic-shipping/optional-extras-domestic

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

I have Safe Drop listed under MyPost ... but that means nothing if a seller has signed on for whatever Aust Post service it is that has a default for SOD (and this also overrides any safe drop delivery instructions that are on the parcel).  What the buyer wants is not what you might get, no matter what you've put in MyPost.  The AP service the seller has agreed to takes precedence and if its SOD with no option to change it, then that's it.

This was explained to me by Aust Post when I queried the delivery of some books where the seller (not on eBay) stated I could add a note for Safe Drop....instead of which despite my instructions the AP contractor (knowing my mobility issues) kept banging on the door until I was finally able to get there to sign for the books.  That held him up for a while and I was gasping for breath when I finally reached the door but, unfortunately for me he's a stickler for the rules, so I had no choice as I am unable to collect parcels from the Post Office.

I went back to the book company's customer service to complain...and discovered they hadn't a clue.  I wonder how any other customers were told Safe Drop was an option when it most definitely wasn't.

I wish my Safe Drop instructions in MyPost WOULD override all AP signed for parcels.  It would make my life much easier.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply