Unfair Final Value Fee

satpran
Community Member

If I sell an item including postage for $25, after paypal charges $0.95, I get $24.05 in to my Ebay account, eBay charges Final Value Fee of 9.5% (basic store) on $25 (not on $24.05). How fair is to charge commission on commission? Is it legal? What happened to the petition with ACCC. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unfair Final Value Fee

@satpran wrote:

If I sell an item including postage for $25, after paypal charges $0.95, I get $24.05 in to my Ebay account, eBay charges Final Value Fee of 9.5% (basic store) on $25 (not on $24.05). How fair is to charge commission on commission? Is it legal? What happened to the petition with ACCC. 

Everybody is in exactly the same Boat I'm afraid to say. Like it or not, there is nothing you / we can do about it.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

welcome to the real world  the goverment charge tax on tax  ala petrol    federal tax  then gst on the tax  /

how about stamp duty tax on top of stamp duty   have a lovely day

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Ebay charge their percentage on the total selling price, the Paypal fee has nothing to do with it. If Paypal charged on the price minus ebay fees how do you think that could be done? What about if it is cash on collection? What about when buyers pay with bank deposit or some other payment method, why should their total selling fees be different to everyone else's?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

@satpran wrote:

Your argument is non seqitur because eBay charge their FVF (or commission if you prefer) long before Paypal get their grubby hands on it (assuming they do, as the buyer may be paying via direct debit in which case Paypal fees don't even enter into the equation). If Paypal are involved in the sale, at least they are providing a service. Your anger and disgust would be better directed towards eBay and their appalling decision to charge FVF on the postage component of a sale, where they greedily take a commission on a service which they haven't even provided themselves. And sadly, while it is certainly highly immoral, it is also unfortunately not illegal (although IMO it absolutely should be). You should be directing all of your hatred towards eBay, just like I've done.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply