Unpaid item feedback

I closed 3 unpaid item cases and they're still showing as items I 'need' to leave feedback for. I didn't realise you could leave feedback for non-payers. Given you can't leave negs for buyers, what on earth are you supposed to say? Is probably a lovely person with good reason for not paying?

One seller this buyer's previously not paid has left venty feedback as a false positive. You're not supposed to do that.... wonder why they leave this option open at all.

I thought neither party could leave fb after an unpaid case was closed, hope they still can't leave fb for me.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Unpaid item feedback

Once a case is closed you can't leave feedback,  although I think you can via the phone app. It's best not to leave it. Why add to their feedback score?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

Yes I agree, no plans to leave them feedback, just surprised that I can most definitely leave feedback after the cases ihave been closed. Didn't think that was the case, but it is. Not on phone app. Probably another glitch.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

You will find once you select to leave feedback the option is not there at the next stage.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

Even recently I've definitely been able to leave feedback after closing an unpaid case, however the buyer does not have an option to leave feedback (not sure about the app, could be possible.  I use my app for my buying account and never had an unpaid item.  I had a cancelled transaction as a buyer recently though - on the PC there was no option to leave feedback but on the app there was).

However the last couple of times I took a leaf from another member.  So I leave my standard positive comment and then a follow-up after the case is closed - all entirely within ebay policy.  The great thing about it is that the follow-up comment really highlights the feedback, easy for other sellers to find.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

The great thing about it is that the follow-up comment really highlights the feedback, easy for other sellers to find.

How many sellers do you know who check the feedback of every bidder as soon as they bid so they can cancel their bid if they have false pos feedback or not so good follow ups? Even if they did that how would you leaving those coments stop them using BIN or putting in a last minute snipe? All you are doing is adding to their total feedback score for little or no reason.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

Oh PJ, really??  Just going by the many NUMEROUS threads on these boards about non-payers, I think many sellers appreciate a heads-up when they chance upon one and happen to look at their feedback for whatever reason.  I know I have.  Sometimes it can helpfully guide a seller in the next course of action.  An obvious example would be if a promised bank transfer hasn't been received within 4 or 5 days, do I open a case yet?  Lots of other ways that a history is useful sometimes.

I also reckon that some buyers would feel a tiny bit of public shaming from the feedback style I use, which includes their ID.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

An obvious example would be if a promised bank transfer hasn't been received within 4 or 5 days, do I open a case yet

No payment after 4, 6 for bank deposit, days I open a dispute, doesn't matter what the buyer's feedback looks like.

A buyer could have several transactions not paid for and you think they are going to be shamed by a green dot wiith a bit of a telling off? I highly doubt it, those same buyers used, in the 'good old days' wear their negs as a badge of honour and didn't give a stuff how many people saw them, all anyone sees is an ebay identity anyway. Even their own family wouldn't know it was them unless they told them.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Unpaid item feedback

No payment after 4, 6 for bank deposit, days I open a dispute, doesn't matter what the buyer's feedback looks like.

Yes PJ, you definitely have a tougher approach than moi.  That was just one example, there are heaps of times I've checked a buyer's feedback and been grateful for the more honest comments that sellers have left, often at risk to themselves - and has probably saved me from more than one sour transaction.

All you are doing is adding to their total feedback score for little or no reason.

I think we could agree that since a buyer can't receive negative feedback, their score is pretty meaningless and just reflects how many purchases they've made. 

I prefer to put some reason back into the process.  Yes they get another (meaningless) green dot, but on balance the advantage to the community of sellers far outweighs that little perk.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply