Unreasonable buyer - how to avoid negative feedback.

Hi all,

Nearly a month ago i sold some DVDs.  Because I am not a full time seller I put handling time as 3-5 days after payment.  This allows me to go to the post office when convenient and when I have several items to send. One item sold on the 30 July. I eventually recieved payment from the buyer on the 17th August (a Friday).  I was actually going to launch a NPB dispute but am preparing for a caravan trip so running around and not really keeping on top of who hasn't paid.  Anyway, check my email this morning Monday (before start of business) and there was an item not recieved dispute opened by the buyer. In the message she said that the item was not showing as sent and to contact her ASAP.  Man, my blood was boiling when I read that.  I must also point out that despite taking 18 days to pay for the item this was the first bit of communicatiuon from her and she is unhappy that I have not posted the item the same day she made payment. In my response I questioned which planet she was living on and that if she was going to take 18 days to pay for an item she can hardly expect an immediate response from the other party. I told her the item would be posted on Tuesday within the 3-5 day handling time as described in the listing. I have a feeling that I will cop negative feedback for this even though I've done nothing wrong.  Advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Unreasonable buyer - how to avoid negative feedback.

I have to agree with PJ that I should have acted on late payment earlier - in future I shall incorporate a "payment must be made within x days" into the description. I try and accommodate all buyers but this is the first time I've had this pulled on me. A lesson learnt. Do you usually send a reminder message first?

For all those posters who post when the owls are active I don't know how you do it.  I like my sleep time too much.

Message 31 of 35
Latest reply

protect*the*innocent
Community Member

Bump :  I think my post cleared up exactly what I was attempting to say. 

I regularly mutually cancel transactions for which a refund has been issued -- I just cannot remember if the option to open an unpaid case is available is all.   It might not be .. but, if it is, I would most definitely use it in a situation such as the OP's.

Hearing you refer to an unpaid item dispute as though it's a competition between buyer and seller disturbs me though.    There's no 'winner' in an unpaid items dispute - and I think I can say with reasonable confidence that sellers would much prefer to complete a transaction than have to lodge a dispute

There is nothing unethical about a seller attempting to recoup their FVF's after any kind of refund is issued to the buyer.  It makes perfect business sense and is absolutely ethical.

The next time I have to issue a refund and lodge a mutual cancellation to claim my FVF's .. I will be sure to double check to see whether the unpaid case option is also available.  It probably isn't.. but all I've tried to say so far is that if it is available then the OP's situation would be the perfect reason to use it.

Bump : thank you for reminding me about why I rarely post to the forums :^O

Message 32 of 35
Latest reply

p*t*i what you might think is a clear explanation is clearly not clear to me.

How can you issue a refund and then start a non payment dispute?

Totally unethical in my books.

I am glad that I serve to remind you not to post here often, at least I am good for something.

Message 33 of 35
Latest reply

If you don't want to deal with them again, just block the buyer (id) in buyer requirements and move on.
Message 34 of 35
Latest reply

I think the OP has probably sorted this out in the last FIFTEEN months.

DEAD THREAD

Message 35 of 35
Latest reply