Upaid Item

keir08
Community Member

Hi all, can anyone help me with what to do about an item I never received payment for?

I received a bid on a clothing item and when the listing finished, the buyer never paid. I have contacted them twice to try and get payment from them - first time, no reply. Second time, they said "actually I don't want it."

It has been more than 30 days so now I can't cancel the order and they are refusing to pay.

Should I just delete the item and then relist it?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Upaid Item

Just remember to let eBay know. I am not a seller, but I have heard that if you don't cancel (and you can't cancel any more) they think the sale was successful and will charge you fees.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Upaid Item

Why would you wait so long to resolve this?

Can't you open a case for Item Not Paid?

You really don't need to negotiate with a buyer. If they haven't paid after 4 days, open a case and let it runs its course.

Buyers who do not pay up need to be penalised so that those of us sellers who have our blocks in place will have buyers like this weeded out.

Since Ebay doesn't know that you have not yet been paid, the selling fees will still be yours to settle unless you can fix this.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Upaid Item

You have 32 days to open an unpaid item case unless it's changed in the new MP's.

As jellybird suggests, in future open an unpaid item case when you can. I usually give buyers 5-7 days but closer to 5 days unless I hear from them.

Contact eBay via help at the top and see if they will cancel it or open an unpaid item case for you otherwise you are stuck with the fees.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Upaid Item

I open an unpaid item case as soon as Ebay lets it happen, which is normally 4 days and one second after the sale.   No playing around in my case,  you don't pay,  you don't play.

In my other business, an invoice reminder threatening the debt collector goes out exactly 4 weeks and 1 second after a delinquent client fails to pay,  I withdraw services,  then promise to come back once paid,   but never go back again.  No second chances,  no need to be nice.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Upaid Item

I had a quick look at your feedback and noticed that you have sold quite a few things, so you're lucky if this was your first unpaid item, I guess.

You struck an annoying numpty but I think if you are going to be selling a lot, it would probably pay to have a strategy in place to deal with people like this and to know your time limitations.

As others said, don't allow any buyer to string you along, although to be fair, this buyer didn't. No payment and no reply to your first message was a clear indication they weren't interested and at that point, you needed to open your claim for unpaid item.

In future,  if I were you, I'd just open a claim if there has been no payment in the required time frame. No need to contact the buyer at all.

Your main concern here is to get your fees back.

If you get onto ebay chat you may be able to make an unpaid item claim and then relist it. If you are out of time to get your fees back, then just relist it now.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply