Upselling and the eBay message system

When I make a sale, I like to ask (via eBay messages) would you like "fries" with that for a discount off the listed price.

I find that around 30% of buyers are a yes please, 20% are thanks but no thanks. And the bulk never respond one way or the other.

Last week had a buyer buy two items separately - and I offered them a discount if I could send in one package. Never got a response so items sent separately.

Now I wonder - did they even get my message? And is there anyway to check (I suspect not)?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lots of buyers don't check ebay for messages, and the emailed notifications often go to spam. My best advice if you want to go the route of asking things like that, make sure you include a deadline. That deadline should take into account delivery times so you don't get late delivery penalties.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

They probably wondered why you were even asking could you send two items in one package.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I just send a message stating I will post together and refund the excess. Most reply with a thanks some don't. I don't bother to ask as you may wait for answer only to ship seperatley then get a yes response.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Probably, and I would once upon a time just have done - but then I got a couple of a holes who didn't reply then biatched and moaned that items weren't sent separately.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

UPDATE:

The Buyer claimed to receive my message through the eBay message service - last night, 4 days after my offer was sent to them.

Australia Post has been known to deliver faster than that.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Lots of buyers don't check ebay for messages, and the emailed notifications often go to spam. My best advice if you want to go the route of asking things like that, make sure you include a deadline. That deadline should take into account delivery times so you don't get late delivery penalties.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply