Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

We operate two ebay stores.

This evening we had the same ZERO FB buyer (same name and address) using two different IDs buy the same (I mean identical) two lots of items from both of our stores. Her ID says she joined ebay on today's date on both IDs.

They have all been all fully instantly paid using PayPal. Total value across the two stores is about $140. Nice order for us!

We have messaged her asking if there have been mistakes made here, but no response as yet.

I guess if we get no response we will treat them all as valid orders and mail them all out in a fully tracked and lodged parcel.

I'm inclined to use C&S on this one. Normally we mail on the same business day (if paid by around 2pm) or in this case tomorrow.

We've not seen anything like this before.

Anyone have any ideas/theories here or seen something like this before?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

TBH and blunt, but JMO I think you have over analysed this sale.

Pretty rational possibilities have been posted to this thread by respected sellers.

IMO the buyer used guest status to purchase multiples of goods they required from two separate stores that just happen to be both yours.  The buyer paid by paypal. 

You are sending with tracked post - and given the value is over $50 thats pretty much commonsense - isn't it ?

If it is some type of covert attempt to defraud you, you pretty much have done all you can do.... FGS chill, not every eBay sale fits a particular profile, it you are going to sweat any anonomly on this venue, you will get an ulcer pretty quick, ain't worth it really.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Yes I have had similar happen - it is usually when they purchase as a guest buyer. Guest buyers can be identified by their username which is usually a weird combination of letters and numbers.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Registered, with signature on delivery, and insurance as well, is how I'd go.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

@clarry100 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas/theories here or seen something like this before?

I once had two sales to the same person in the US - they used two different IDs and two different payment methods (a different site, though, have to register, so not guest accounts). Different items, but I hit the panic button(s). Smiley LOL All turned out OK, though.

Sometimes I buy something, then spot the same or similar item at a better price and grab that too, cos I know I'll use all of them or what have you - had you sold out of the one they bought and maybe they kept looking? (i.e. they may have wanted more to start with). 

They may also just be testing what they thought was different suppliers? Or do you link to / mention your other store in your listings? If they bought smaller lots then wanted to check out the larger lots, that'd make perfect sense...

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Yes the two IDS are a very long weird looking sequence of characters. Possibly bought as a guest as you suggest.
Yeah maybe SOD on this order as well methinks just to be safe.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Don't send them together whatever you do, if they are a bit dodgy they would easily win an item not received case on one item.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Just noticed this morning that thus buyer has acquired a fb score = 1 overnight. Both the IDS now have fb from the same seller for buying the same types of items we sell. But looks like a Chinese seller tho.
Some strange activities going on here.
I'm thinking as PJ has suggested earlier to get these purchases fully tracked we will need to mail them in four separate packages each with tracking. Thoughts?
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

Very enlightening thread.  I had this happen last week. 

They bought one item, paid for it, then bought another item about 3 minutes later and it came up with a different ID for the same person.  Both IDs were a weird combination of letters and numbers and had zero feedback.  I really wondered at the time, but if that's what happens when you buy as a guest then it all makes sense. 

I posted both items together because the items were only worth $10 in total, then I refunded the excess postage minus the fees that had already been deducted.  I'm not sure what happens with a refund when they pay as a guest.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

OK here is what we have done...

I have printed off two C&S labels to the same address, one from each of our stores.

The two complete orders from each store have gone into the two separate tracked packages.

C&S would not allow me to print a label from both buyer IDs because it said they were from different buyers. It must just check the ebay user ID and not the address.

However, when I went back to my Sold list ebay did allow me to put the same tracking number against both the IDs. I guess it compared the postal address rather than the user ID and said to do this was OK.

So we have full C&S tracking recorded against all the items from both our stores. Two different tracking numbers.

I will lodge the parcels over the AP counter myself later today.

So if this buyer is truly dodgy we should have PayPal protection I reckon. Maybe I've hit the panic button over nothing but would rather be safe than sorry. Looks a bit dodgy to me. And we have a $140 total order here to protect.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Very Odd Buyer Behaviour

For that much I would have added extra for either insurance or SOD, that gives you an actual receipt with the buyer's address on.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply