Warning!!! Auspost Registered post to US no longer trackable via Auspost or USPS

In case you don't know ..as of 1st october 2015 registered post is no longer being scanned and is untrackable unless you get on a the phone and wait hours... I have been sending items for years this way and have always been able to track them online... Not any more...appalling to think that were one of the most expensive postal countries and we can't make that list So basically the reg post number you pay through the nose for isnt worth the paper its written on

http://faq.usps.com/?articleId=1437076354655

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Warning!!! Auspost Registered post to US no longer trackable via Auspost or USPS

do you mean pack and track? ( the little form with all the carbons)

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

That seems very strange...

Mostly because registered post has never been trackable on the Aus Post site, but has always returned results on the USPS site, once they get the info and it updates when they scan along the way.

The page you link to blames the other countries for not scanning and sending info along to them, but once they have the package, they're the only ones that can scan and provide info, so I don't really see any reason why they can't continue to do that, unless something is suddenly preventing information access. So, I guess they're saying "if they don't put it in the system, neither will we anymore" ? 

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

planetopal wrote:
In case you don't know ..as of 1st october 2015 registered post is no longer being scanned and is untrackable unless you get on a the phone and wait hours... I have been sending items for years this way and have always been able to track them online... Not any more...appalling to think that were one of the most expensive postal countries and we can't make that list So basically the reg post number you pay through the nose for isnt worth the paper its written on

http://faq.usps.com/?articleId=1437076354655

i just came back from the post office and asked them this.....they laughed at me and said never heard this and its very dumb if au post do this.?????

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Registered post items to the U.S.A. have NEVER been trackable on Auspost. Even domestic registered post in AUSTRALIA is not trackable online.

Do you mean pack and track?

If so, hasnt it always been this way? this list is updated every now and then and has never included Australia, as far as I know?

I think they mean 'not trackable from country of origin' - and we've never been able to track parcels on the UPS website while they are in Australia - because Auspost doesnt send them the info.

so nothing is going to change for us...

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Yes it's true aus post say that registered post is not trackable online. However I have always been able to track registered post items to the US and a few other countries using the 13 digit code.

I have never had a problem in years of sending to the states tracking with this method. The reason I like (or liked it)  is the added security of signature required.

Pack and send is similarly priced and offer online tracking number - but it comes at the cost of no signature required...Why?

Most of the packages I send are under 100 grams and cost around $20 registered which in itself is highway robbery..and now for piece of mind with tracking and sig I'm probably going to have to pay 3 times that....hardly worth it

Sounds to me like Auspost are just monetgrabbing and refusing to chip, sign up in or assist with scanning items

Theres a few 3rd world countries on that list that don't have a problem with it.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@planetopal wrote:

Pack and send is similarly priced and offer online tracking number - but it comes at the cost of no signature required...Why?

I don't understand that, either. A domestic parcel will have tracking as standard (i.e. no extra cost), with a few exceptions, and it's only SOD that costs more ($2.95) . International delivery via standard air mail, you can only have one or the other, at an additional $7-odd on top of the parcel price. Smiley Frustrated

In my best Old El Paso-Girl impression - why can't we have both?

Unfortunately, most of my items go as international large letters, so I (and my buyers) get the "lovely" choice of paying $2.75 - $7.40, untrackable, or $21.10 - $28.45 (that's as much as more than 10x the cost for standard air mail!) and that's the cheapest for one of the two choices (tracking or SOD). It's disgraceful. 😞 

At any rate, I did happen to send a registered parcel to the US today, so I'll check the number on the USPS site in a few days just to see if per chance it still gives me a result. 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I just found that out myself on phoning austpost - they do answer after nearly 1 hour!! They are supposedly redoing online tracking -when I do not know. They tracked mine themselves as ending in customs in the UK and tracking to commence once it leaves there at royalmail . That is alright but when you have a not nice buyer who does not send any emails whatsoever to me, just files a complaint, then an email a week later 'where is my refund' I guess I am going to have a hard time with this so not nice buyer. Putting her on the 'naughty' list is too late to help. Will be hard explaining this tracking to ebay and paypal 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@planetopal wrote:

I don't understand that, either. A domestic parcel will have tracking as standard (i.e. no extra cost), with a few exceptions, and it's only SOD that costs more ($2.95) . International delivery via standard air mail, you can only have one or the other, at an additional $7-odd on top of the parcel price. Smiley Frustrated

In my best Old El Paso-Girl impression - why can't we have both?

Unfortunately, most of my items go as international large letters, so I (and my buyers) get the "lovely" choice of paying $2.75 - $7.40, untrackable, or $21.10 - $28.45 (that's as much as more than 10x the cost for standard air mail!) and that's the cheapest for one of the two choices (tracking or SOD). It's disgraceful. 😞 

At any rate, I did happen to send a registered parcel to the US today, so I'll check the number on the USPS site in a few days just to see if per chance it still gives me a result. 

It IS disgraceful. If Australia Post are going to keep upping their prices (and they are) then they need to provide us with options/services that are standard in almost every other developed country in the world.

In most countries, it's a few extra dollars to send something with tracking/signature/insurance  - as you point out, it can be as much as 10x more expensive to do that here.

How are we supposed to compete in the global marketplace when it costs us $45896745967945 to send a standard package overseas?

That, and eBay's ridiculous return policy, are the reasons I stopped posting overseas. My international buyers just didn't understand why it'd cost so much to have a standard service like tracking (and I found that the majority of international buyers wanted tracking . . . as do I when I purchase internationally). After many cancelled transactions, I stopped selling overseas. And yes, I did/do have all postage costs on my listings - but so many international buyers assumed that combined postage would involve a significant discount . . but with AP, it does not.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

It IS disgraceful. If Australia Post are going to keep upping their prices (and they are) then they need to provide us with options/services that are standard in almost every other developed country in the world.

In most countries, it's a few extra dollars to send something with tracking/signature/insurance  - as you point out, it can be as much as 10x more expensive to do that here.

How are we supposed to compete in the global marketplace when it costs us $45896745967945 to send a standard package overseas?

That, and eBay's ridiculous return policy, are the reasons I stopped posting overseas. My international buyers just didn't understand why it'd cost so much to have a standard service like tracking (and I found that the majority of international buyers wanted tracking . . . as do I when I purchase internationally). After many cancelled transactions, I stopped selling overseas. And yes, I did/do have all postage costs on my listings - but so many international buyers assumed that combined postage would involve a significant discount . . but with AP, it does not.

I'm thankfully fnding my buyers to be quite understanding / accepting that the majority of their packages won't be trackable, but my items are usually relatively low value, and I get a fair few buyers from Canada too, who are pretty much in the same boat we are in so far as costs for "extra" services. 

But, I did have an enquiry last night about a higher value ($200) item, to the US. For an order of that value, I want tracking, SOD and extra cover - not only is extra cover outrageously more expensive than for domestic packages ($1.50 per $100 within Aus compared to $9.60 for the first $100 + $2.50 for each additional $100 to the US) but I can't get all three add-ons unless I pay a total of $68.15 for Express Courier International (Merchandise) - and this is on a small, under 500g package!

why I oughta to you, AP. 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply