Warning Be very careful when selling on EBAY.

I recently sold an item on EBAY for $585 to a buyer in MEXICO. I posted the item with Australia Post tracking and insurance for $300. As soon as the ebay estimated time of delivery elapsed about 10 days letter the buyer put in a claim for item not recieved - shortly after that he recieved a refund from Ebay for the full amount.

This was even though the item was still being tracked on the Australian post and then the Mexican post web-sites. I contacted Australia Post who could not believe that the buyer had been refunded considering it was still in transit. I obtained a reference number from Australia post who told me to be patient as Mexico post was known to be very slow. I informed ebay of what was going on and received a very poor repsonse. They keep saying that this is their policy - items must be delivered within the time frame estimated. What more could be done the item was tracked and stuck in Mexico customs etc. (Unbelievable). In the meantime Ebay have billed me for the $585 ???

As things went on (YES) the item was delivered to the buyer and tracked as so. I again get in touch with ebay and I am told via messages that the item was considered 'lost in transit'????. How can this be so as I have proof from Australia Post that they and Mexico Post never considered the item as 'lost'. Both postal websites never stated that the item was lost. The other reason given that ebay had made a prior decison in the buyers favour that now cannot be overturned. Are you kidding. So the buyer gets the item and the refund?? 

We all live in Australia and have a basic understanding of both Civil and Criminal law. Civilly, how can I be held liable and penalised $585 dollars when I have fullfiled my contract obligations: ie: posted the goods with tracking and buyer recieves the goods ( it is a no-brainer). Ebay refunded the buyer not me under thier policy. The fact that the item was late in delivery was out of my control. Any Court would see in my favour.

My question is why do Ebay act in this manner???. They must know that as a minimum it is unethical and not legally sound and possibly assisting fraudulant behaviour. So it is thier POLICY but we have laws in this country on how people should trade and act in the business world. 

Just one other thing. Ebay suggested that I message the buyer and persue hime for the money. Yer right!!!

Totally astounded !!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Warning Be very careful when selling on EBAY.

When I read your comment, I assumed you must be buying from China, but I had a look at the feedback you have left and can't see any negs. You have left a few neutrals & they seem to be for Australian sellers and some time in the past.

If you are sold something that is faulty or broken or clearly not as described, you don't have to let any seller 'trick' you. You can open a not as described claim with ebay and you would most likely be prompted to retrun the item (at seller's expense) and you'd get a full refund.

There are some categories of items you'd be best buying from real stores. Things like phones, electronics etc can be tricky.

But on the whole, most sellers on ebay are reasonable people. I am not sure  what you buy, mind you, nor the price paid but if any item seems very cheap for what it is, the quality probably won't be the same as a dearer one.

Message 41 of 43
Latest reply

If they had paid through Paypal, you'd have another option to chase the money. I've had similar problems with Ebay and also have spent hours on the phone with Australia Post who often lose my parcels. During Covid; it was a complete nightmare. I don't send overseas anymore.

Message 42 of 43
Latest reply

PayPal give you 180 days - not 6 years. lol

Message 43 of 43
Latest reply