Warning: Phishing Email from "Better Business Bureau"

The last couple of days I've received a record number of the usual PayPal scam emails, but today I got one claiming to be from the Better Business Bureau, which looked very professional and I could have almost thought it was legitimate if it wasn't for several warning signs.

Aside from addressing me by my email address, the BBB is an American organisation, and the email stated that it had received a complaint from one of my customers (I don't ship overseas unless by special request, and it's been a long time since I posted to the US). The biggest give away is that it says to view and respond to the complaint, I have to download and open an attachment. (There's also a note at the top of the email saying that my email program doesn't support HTML - it does - and to click a link to view it in my browser X-( ).

Due to how professional looking the email actually is (probably the "best" one I've seen, perfect English and so on), I thought I'd post this up in case others receive it and don't realise it's a scam.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I got one too....from BBB  And if I wanted read the complaint they received from MY CUSTOMER I had to click on the attachment.  I wonder how many sellers, being concerned about a customer, would have clicked on it.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

i  havent got one luckly

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Its a worry, my rule is if in doubt - delete... and block as well.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I got one also and it did look real.

The BBB web site has an email add for phishing scams, so I forwarded my mail.

However the email add doesn't seem operational and the mail never went through.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

I don't care how official or genuine an email appears to be, I always mouse-over the embedded links as a matter of interest, and even if the URLs match (as they frequently do, even on phishing emails), I still log on through the browser and NEVER via the link in an email.

If you can get into the automatic habit of always totally ignoring embedded email URLs and never clicking on them, you'll never be caught out. It really is as simple as that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply