What a dilema

Just sold an item for $49.95 to  a buyer in Turkey when it clearly said  will post only to Australia I told him I did not send overseas & not to worry about it & I would relist   If I cancelled the transaction I would have got a defect ( as has happened before). He said he still wanted it & post is $95.00  ( actual amount) If he  did not want the item then I would have done the $5 commission but now I have to pay  $9.50 extra commission on the post charge + $5.00 ebay fee & extra paypal fees. all because someone did not read or did not care about the description I have now figured out how to block overseas buyers so I hope it won 't happen again

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: What a dilema

If you are paid $144.95 via PayPal Australia in a single transaction the fee should be $3.78 and you should actually receive $141.17.

It's 2.4% + 30-cents as CQ said above.

If they have charged you $5.23 then I'd be on the phone asking please explain.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

However, if you were paid the very same $144.95 in 6 separate transactions (as many buyers do) then the total fee would be $5.28.

It's still 2.4% of the $144.95 = $3.48

Plus 6 lots of 30-cents = $1.80 (PayPal charge 30-cents for each individual transaction)

Total: $5.28

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

This buyer was in Turkey ( country & description of buyer) Would that make a difference to the fee

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Start the cancel transaction process trust me!  I lived in Turkey for a few years and hubby is Turkish, do not trust their postal system!

They have very strict customs/import laws (to protect their local industry) and I guarantee you they will confiscate the item and you buyer will not even receive it or even receive a note that it has been confiscated.  Turkey works on a whole different level to most postal systems.  They regularly just take what they want and no paperwork necessary.  The only things I have successfully sent to Turkey are paper based items and don't mark it any way that shows it is a commerical item or it will be taken.  Clothes, shoes and textiles are especially prone to being confiscated.  Don't risk it, you will lose your item and the money when he/she does a claim.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Yes that will make the difference.

Cross-border transaction fees are 3.4% + 30-cents.

So on your $144.95 that comes up to $5.23. Spot on!

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply