What could cause a 35% drop in impressions in a few weeks?

Since about mid Feburary I have noticed a significant decline in sales. I saw my impressions had dropped by 35% when compared to the prior month and I can not figure out why. Until now my number of impressions had been gradiually increasing month by month so this came as a surprise.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Has there been a change in the Best Match algorythm that I should be aware of? Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Craig

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: What could cause a 35% drop in impressions in a few weeks?

I was at the big antique/vintage shop in Blackheath a few months back and was once again surprised at the prices on a lot of their stuff. I wasn't looking to buy at that point (although have bought before), but people were paying outrageous prices for anything from vintage clothes, to fine china, jewellery. Sellers of the same stuff on here can't sell it for 1/4 of the price.

I don't blame the Chinese or the best match rankings (even though they don't matter to me), I blame the constant % off sales for the big names. People are buying from them because they get sucked in when they see a sale. Ooooh, 10% off, I'd better buy something I don't really need because it's on sale. You only have to look at the sold listings for the big box sellers to see their sales aren't affected at all. They have constant sales and constant advertising by eBay. Members are getting emails every other day about another 10.15, 20, 25% off sale. It's in their face. We are not.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

You have hit the nail on the head Tippy.....I have regularly taken advantage of the generous discounts ebay have been giving to the large stores such as The Good Guys and Bing Lee.

My daughter mentioned that she was waiting for the after Christmas sales as she needed a new Video...she was going to come to Sydney to take advantage of the likes of Harvey Norman and Bing Lee.   The next day I discovered the ebay 20% offer applied to one of the machines she was looking at.  We decided she would not do much better if any, so I bought it and picked it up for her to further save on the postage.

I have since bought another similar machine and 3 external hard drives as well as an Easy Cooker and a Rice Cooker.  All these items would have been bought eventually when there were sales on in the shops but 20% is not to be sneezed at for the convenience of getting things now, and delivered to home.

I have a running list of items that family members are looking for, along with the best prices they have found.  As soon as ebay gives a discount I buy anything that comes in under their best prices. 

I do wish ebay would give a good general discount that could be used with any sellers on ebay.   It is all very well to get all these lovely discounts on large ticket items but there are plenty of smaller items from small sellers that I would like to buy.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Yes I have had the same and the timing is about when mine started decreasing. I'm still listing the same amount and have 1 day shipping with free returns. Items I'm listing are the of the same genre

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I agree but impressions go hand in hand with sales. The decrease in sales can be attributed to your store having no store front and potential buyers are not seeing your items

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Did you not notice the date of this thread?

It has been dormant since 2017 – seven years ago.

Please let it rest in peace. Things have changed since 2017.

You can always start a new thread to avoid the proliferation of zombie threads…

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I disagree as my impressions are down 27% but sales are up 35%. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

I should add that although my impressions dropped significantly as a whole my top 20 search results increased by 10% and my rest of search results dropped by 40%. My page views are up around 10% so impressions I'm getting are now converting into sales better as more are in the top 20% of search which shows as my sales conversion rate is slightly up at 4.5%. 

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Best start a new thread rather than post on one over 7 years old

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply