What happens if I sell an item, but the buyer never received it. It was posted by regular mail.

Hi I recently sold an item to an ebay buyer, completed the purchase and mailed the parcel.  It was sent by regular mail with no tracking number.  The buyer has contcted me and is yet to receive her item.  I have my return address on the back of the parcel but nothing as yet has been returned to me.

Can you please let me know what is to be done in this situation.

Regards

hoganemb

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What happens if I sell an item, but the buyer never received it. It was posted by regular mail.

Unfortunatly what often happens is the buyer lodges an item not recieved claim, and if the item was paid for with paypal, the funds are taken from your account and forwarded to the buyer. If another method of payment was used such as direct deposit to bank account or postal money order, the buyer usually has much less success in claiming thier money back, but could leave negative feedback. The best way is usually to simply refund thier money without the hassles of an item not recieved case. Many sellers add a small amount to each sale ( slightly higher BIN or start price for auction ) to cover claims of various sorts. ( self insurance ) if mail tracking is not used. If it was sent as an AUST. Post parcel ( not large letter )  it would automatically have a tracking number, noted on the reciept. It may pay to have a look at the reciept.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

You could also ask the buyer to check at the post office. So often I have had buyers claim an item not received, only to find that it is waiting for them at the post office. They might also be able to check with neighbours.

You can also lodge an lost article investigation with Australia Post on their website. Probably not all that helpful, but at least if you do this and let the buyer know you are doing it, they will (hopefully) understand that you are serious about helping them.

If (and by the smallest chance) they are a dishonest buyer, the above may just help them leave it be.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

How recently? has the buyer allowed a reasonable timke for delivery?

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply