What is Ebay doing??

Has Ebay changed its policy to allow the listing of counterfeit items?...I can think of no other reason they have not pulled an auction for " Gold metal detector minelab GPX5000 Industrial Mining Equipment " which has been reported as a fake by at least 5 people I know of plus myself.

Even Minelab, the manufacturer of the genuine product, is wondering why Ebay will not remove the listing.

The seller happily admitted to me that it is made in China... but Minelab does not have their products made in China.

A link in the body of the listing leads to a Chinese website where you can buy as many of these fakes as you like.

I'm a member of a gold detecting forum with almost 4000 members, most of who are also Ebay users and this apparent refusal to remove a listing for a counterfeit item is turning a lot of us off using Ebay period.

So..what are you doing Ebay????..this place is becoming more like pirate bay with each passing week!.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: What is Ebay doing??

Iain, if Minelab really want ebay to remove it they need to speak to someone and join the eBay VERO programme

only members / manufacturers / copyright holders who are part of ebay's VERO programme are able to demand fakes be removed immediately.

Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, Billabong etc.etc. all are VERO members and all get listings pulled a.s.a.p.

ebay cannot remove an item because another member says its a fake, imagine how many shonky sellers would be reporting all the listings of their competitors if it was that easy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

There was another thread on this 2 days ago, so if multiple members are reporting, ebay will definitely look at it.

But as stated, (ebay is only the advertising medium) ebay can't vet and police all listings based on words from other members.

However, I am confident they red flag accounts and items for future reference.

All it takes is one buyer to have the product verified as fake by the original company in writing to ebay, then that account and subsequent accounts will be closed.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

If you have something in writing from the seller that it is made in a China and can prove that the real thing isn't ...that might be seen as more proof than just 'your' word?

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply