What is a reasonable time for a buyer to make contact/pay?

A buyer put in a winning bid Monday morning.  I have sent 3 emails but had no response or payment.  What is a reasonable time to expect contact of some sort?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Reasonable probably varies from person to person, so I would recommend deciding on a specific time-frame to allow for payment, make a note of it in your listing descriptions, and use that as a guide as to which actions to take when. When I list stuff on this ID, I ask that payment be made within 5 days, then leave the buyer to it pretty much, until day 4 when I send one polite message - if no response to that, then between 1-2 days later I'll open an unpaid item case. 

3 emails since Monday might be a tad too much on the one hand, but a response would be nice, too. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you - will let it go a couple more days.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Ebay give buyers 4 days before a seller can open a dispute and another 4 days after that to make the payment. The buyer gets an email to say they have purchesed and after 48 hours ebay send a reminder so sending anything else before day 3 looks like a bad case of overkill and would annoy many buyers, may even drive them to waiting until the 11th hour of day 8 to pay!

I send an invoice on day 3 with a note on asking if they can confirm how they paid as I cannot trace their payment and if I still don't hear anything by the end of day 4 I just open the dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply