What is the ideal auction starting price for clothing? Worried I've put it too high.

84marg
Community Member

I'm selling a few of my designer dresses that have either been worn once or not at all and not sure if I've put the starting price of my Auction as too high. They were expensive dresses so I don't want to price them at $0.99 to get the Auction started. 
Any advice would be very helpful.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What is the ideal auction starting price for clothing? Worried I've put it too high.

the best auction starting price is always the MINIMUM price you are prepared to accept for the item.   Then, if you only get one bid, and lots of auctions do only get one bid, you are sure to be happy, and willing to let the dress go.   if you list for .99c and only get one bid, then you are obliged, according to ebay rules (to which you agreed), to sell for .99c

eBay Australia do not have reserves on auctions (only cars/boats etc)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

My advice, if they are designer frocks in excellent condition, is to set your prices reasonably high.

Not at shop prices but not too cheap either.

That's because if someone is interested in the item, they may grumble if the price is a bit on the high side but if they want it, they will probably bid, as long as they are not up for full retail price.

I think it is always a good idea to put a full, honest description plus a note about how much the item cost originally. And good, clear photos.

People seem to think something is better quality if they have paid a decent amount for it.

I used to sell and can still recall one lady picking up a top that was as new, and we had listed it as $3 as it had failed to sell the week or so before at $5. She looked at it and said it was amazing, in much better condition than she expected and she could not believe it for the price. I had said in the description it was excellent condition but obviously people looking at it and the price assumed it couldn't be much good.

If I had put $20 on it, I would possibly have had more interest.

The top wasn't a designer top but I would think the same principal applies.

Ask a decent price and if it doesn't sell after a round or two, you can always lower the asking price later.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I would advise against saying worn once, enough stupid sellers have said that and what arrived was obviously worn a lot that buyers read that as the seller is probably telling porkies. Just say it has been worn but is still in extremely good condition.  If there is a slight fault mention it, I have had items with a fault sell for more than similar items in perfect condition as they perceive you as being honest.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

My advice is if the condition of the dress is near new and consistent with being worn once only - then describe it as such.

There are buyers on eBay that will only purchase second-hand clothing if it has had a single wear and is close to new in condition. 

If it has been worn once, but the owner appears to have had "one hell of a night" during that wear, maybe not mention the times worn at all Cat Wink

As PJ notes, describe any fault, even the smallest thread pull, honesty earns respect, not mentioning earns disputes and less than favourable feedback.

I think your starting prices are reasonable.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Always assume that an item is likely to sell at start price. Doesn't matter if its a near new $300, if its listed at $5 thats what it may sell for.

Someone has to see it, like it, and it be in their size.If at auction then more than one person has to feel the same way.

Ebay at the moment is flooded with dresses.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply