What recourse do I have when eBay "gives" an item to a buyer?

Hello! I live in Australia. On 01 Oct I sold a personal, valuable and authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag for $780+$50 shipping to a buyer located in the United States. The listing item said the seller does not accept returns, unless the item is not as described. About 5 days after the buyer received the item, they opened a refund request with no details. Despite asking for details, I got no further message from the buyer.

On October 18, eBay sent me a message asking I provide the buyer with a return label within four business days. That same day, eBay also informed me that a return case (Case # 5325049703) had been created and put on hold until October 23, to allow the buyer to provide further information. This mixed messaging from eBay left me perplexed and concerned about the handling of the situation and I reported the buyer transaction to eBay

To my dismay, on Oct 23 eBay refunded the buyer in full, withheld $89.76 payout pending from another sale and plans to deduct a further $41.12 from my bank account. Basically eBay seems intent on charging me about 15% commission for the sale that it refunded. Worse - it is unclear what has happened to the valuable Louis Vuitton bag in question. I have not been given the option to provide a return label to the buyer, nor have I received any communication regarding the whereabouts of the item. In essence, eBay has effectively taken possession of my valuable bag, provided it to the buyer without due process, and is now seeking additional money from me.

The icing on the cake is that the webpage to appeal the case is not working. I've tried two computers and three browsers, and the 'Submit Appeal' button stays grayed out: https://www.ebay.com.au/ReturnCase/5325049703/AppealRequest

So how can I get my item back and appeal this decision?

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: What recourse do I have when eBay "gives" an item to a buyer?

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Hi Sugar,  ebay do now charge a dispute resolution fee,  $22 from memory, payable when a seller fails to resolve a dispute and ebay finds in buyers favour.

No I didnt know that,  and thats great and I hope this seller got hit with it.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Hi Sugar,  ebay do now charge a dispute resolution fee,  $22 from memory, payable when a seller fails to resolve a dispute and ebay finds in buyers favour.

I'm sorry to say this on an open forum, but I think that was a bit nasty.

We have here a seller who is fairly new to ebay & who did not ignore ebay messages as such but more was confused by them.

They have come here for advice because so far, they have already lost a bag valued at $780 plus $50 postage. As well as still paying all ebay fees on that sale.

And you're rejoicing because they may lose another $22?

All this may be fair enough if the seller had sent a faulty item but the key thing here is the buyer has provided no details or photos and has not been required to provide any before ebay refunded the money. The seller (in my opinion) is highly likely to have been scammed. Regardless of their mistakes, I don't like to see that happen to anyone.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

eBay have automated many of the processes, which means very little human intervention. That means lower ongoing costs and higher profits. I’m not going to pretend any sympathy for eBay occasionally having staff look in at a dispute, or for eBay’s “stepping in”… particularly when the cost of refunding a buyer falls ultimately upon the seller.

I DO think sellers need to be aware of the processes and how automated they are. OP, please do as gutterpunkz has commented; get onto the Help pages and read as many pages as you can, to make yourself thoroughly aware of the policies and their timeframes, implementations, etc. Post any questions on these boards if anything seems unclear.

For sellers who deliberately try to avoid resolving issues, a resolution fee might be another incentive for them to act correctly, but I’m worried that innocent sellers may be caught up in this rather than bad sellers. Presumably bad sellers will calculate whether this fee is offset by large profits selling damaged/fake/SNAD items to buyers and lulling along any who complain with the typical line of excuses… whereas the more inexperienced or naïve sellers won’t have those profit margins and will be caught out in disputes.

Bottom line: sellers need to protect themselves by knowing eBay T&Cs and policies and procedures inside out.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks @sprinyzone - I see your note to 'sugar'. You are both fair and kind.

I've got the expected refusal of my appeals. 

The buyer never provided a reason for the INAD expect for the phrase "I want a full refund". 

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

I'm sorry to say this on an open forum, but I think that was a bit nasty.

We have here a seller who is fairly new to ebay & who did not ignore ebay messages as such but more was confused by them.

They have come here for advice because so far, they have already lost a bag valued at $780 plus $50 postage. As well as still paying all ebay fees on that sale.

And you're rejoicing because they may lose another $22?

All this may be fair enough if the seller had sent a faulty item but the key thing here is the buyer has provided no details or photos and has not been required to provide any before ebay refunded the money. The seller (in my opinion) is highly likely to have been scammed. Regardless of their mistakes, I don't like to see that happen to anyone.

Don't be sorry springy.

You are 100% correct.

Imo the poster you replied to delights in schadenfreude.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

I've often wondered if the ' abrasive contempt ' is carried over into RL. 

images (57).jpeg

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Don't be sorry springy.

You are 100% correct.

Imo the poster you replied to delights in schadenfreude.

I actually am sorry. I've been a bit abrupt in a few of my comments lately. I could have worded them better.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Also the dispute fee is related to bank chargebacks, not the internal INR/INAD process.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply