What things do you need to know before start selling internationally?

Im thinking about trying... what do i need to know?

What i have found at the moment....
* Read and agree to eBay.com.au's International Selling Agreement.
* When you list an item, select International postage locations and/or exclusions on the listing form – either "Worldwide" or particular regions or countries.
* Specify locations you don't post to in My eBay, and apply these to all your current listings.
* Paypal Fees will be Standard rate (Cross-border Transaction): 3.6% plus $0.30 fixed fee.
* Australians registered on eBay.com.au with a Featured or Anchor Store subscription can benefit from discounted or free insertion fees for fixed price listings on international eBay sites.
* If you list directly onto an international eBay site you'll be charged the final value fee for that site.
* If you're listing on eBay.com.au and you've specified international postage, you'll be charged the eBay.com.au final value fee.
* Pack and Track International seems like a good international postage option (http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/international-post- service-guide-aug15.pdf )
* Fill in the declaration form at the post office.

Do you sell international? would you recommend doing it?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: What things do you need to know before start selling internationally?

depends what you sell.

heavy items aren't as successful as o/s buyers have to pay huge amounts in post.

the majority of my items sold lately have been o/s ..........................gives you a wider audience

if you're prepared to go to the post office counter at least twice a week it may work.  keep green customs forms at home to fill in before you go. 

you can't sell flammables........incl perfume.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Be prepared to ask a lot in postage to send things overseas, and even more to add tracking.  A lot of foreigners expect there to be standard tracking but are usually good about it when I tell them it's not standard.  It really helps to sell something no one else does so that a buyer will really want it and will pay the AU overseas shipping prices to get it.

If you sell heaps of items overseas, pre-fill out your customs declarations in batches so all you have to do is fill in the date and month.  It saves a lot of time on packing day.

I checked and saw that ebay.com has a 10% FVF compared to our 9.9%, I had hoped it was lower.

Make sure you pack the items well to handle many bumps and handling as they pass through many more depots/transits compared to a domestic parcel.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I also add up to $1.50 handling fee to international dimensions area to cover that extra in int. paypal fees / sturdy wrapping envelopes/waterproof etc.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I sell internationally, but not on eBay so won't comment on the eBay-specific stuff. Based on my experience, yes I would recommend it in general, but as I choose not to sell internationally here, I also won't specifically recommend doing so to others. That being said, by and large my experience has been that it is not too different from selling domestically, but can be quite a bit more expensive when something goes wrong, mostly due to higher postage costs, and (if like me and you don't use credit cards etc for anything) you need to have a bit more cash on hand ready at any given time to be able to pay the postage, since you can only pay for international mail (merchandise) over the counter, and a few Pack & Track parcels adds up quick. (You can process P&T labels via click and send, and pay for them with PayPal, but only if you select the option for courier pick-up which is a bit pricey, espcially if you only have a couple of things to go out). 

My items are small and light weight, and range in value (from a couple of dollars, to a bit over $100), so I quote letter rate postage, and account for possibly needing to send items tracked for higher value orders in a couple of other ways (eg combined postage prices - my most popular OS items tend to be bought in multiples, so I have a policy of a small amount extra per item, excess will be refunded if applicable, or shipping will be upgraded to tracked instead). 

If you're going to be sending quite a few parcels, it's worthwhile to consider Australia Post's Business 250 membership. Basically, if you send 250+ parcels a year, you can get a discount on a lot of parcel services, including some international ones (pack and track, but not registered). You also get discounts on a lot of domestic parcel services that you can't get via eBay such as express parcels (the only ones that are genuinely cheaper via ebay are the flat rate boxes), and it's all pay as you go so no credit or contracts, no lump sum payments up front etc. You do need an ABN, though, so not necessarily suitable for everyone. 

When it comes to PayPal, when the buyer and seller are in different countries, the buyer's protection policy takes precedence over the seller's, and most OS PP policies require proof of delivery for seller protection. I recommend becoming familiar with the main PP policies and consumer laws in the countries you're thinking of shipping to, to get an idea of what rights and expectations your customers are likely to have (for example, in the EU, buyers have the right to cancel a purchase for any reason and receive a full refund, including original postage. The minimum timeframe for that is 14 days, but can be up to a year if the seller doesn't specify a return policy - these kinds of things can't necessarily always be enforced on international sellers, but I mention it because it's the kind of thing buyers in EU countries are used to and might expect). 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah I do sell the odd item internationally, both on eBay and other sites. 

In terms of my items they are small and lightweight - so they can easily be sent as a letter. 

Some general tips:

-Research your postage options as they vary greatly from letter (approx $2.75) through to parcels (starting at $14.10 approx). Be aware of tracking costs as these can be quite expensive (just in case people ask about them)

- Collect a small pile of customs declarations from the PO and always complete them to ensure there are no hold-ups in delivery or returns to your door. It's a pain but you do have to do to the post office every time to lodge your items. 

Um I can't really think of anything else right now. 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Looking at your store items, I think the first thing you need to check is the Region specific content.

For example, Australia uses the PAL system and USA use the NTSC system.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=pal%20ntsc%2...

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I sell internationally but my postage costs is always $2.75 ($1.95 for asian countries).

I would block Germany and Canada, because postage is extremely slow.

Also block Russia, Israel and Brazil, they seem to never get orders when you send it to them.

Also your DSR ratings are going to take a hit, because postage world wide is very inconsistant. Some are fast and some are slow and it changes.

World-wide posting system really sucks.

My items all fit inside standard letter standards, so I don't bother with customs forms (I buy international stamps and dump it in the mail box so I save HOURS). It always been fine for me.

Tracking is ridiciously expensive, even at the cheapst in australia post it costs $60.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

i go to the post office nearly everyday, so thats not a problem

ebay fees are 9.9% for non store sellers, 9.5% if you have a basic store, 8.5% featured store and 7.5% anchor store

i didnt know about the Australia Post Bussines 250 membership (thanks digital*ghost) im getting my abn soon, so i will be looking into that

im thinking on selling small lightweight items, something totally diferent to what im selling now (i know about the diferent dvd/games region codes), probably in a new account (i dont like mixing diferent types of products)...

good tips ourphonecase

Thank you for all your comments, im interested on learning from people with more experience than me in this area

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I get a ton of sales from Canada. My products are sent in small/large letters. Rarely any problems.

Occasionally to the other countries you mentioned, and again, only the rare problem.

Come to think of it.... I actually did have problems with items not arriving when I began selling internationally. Then I got some information regarding that little 'Air Mail' label. Basically, the letter will travel by air from Australia with just a simple 'international stamp'. But if it needs to travel by air once more to reach the destination, it must have the 'Air Mail' label.

I now stick one of those on EVERY international letter (in addition to the postage stamp) and I've had little trouble since.

The cheapest tracking available seems to be Pack & Track which costs a minimum of $21.10 - that's with letters and parcels. Not sure where you got the $60 from.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply