What would you do? Buyer pays after cases closes.

On Friday, I closed an unpaid item dispute (without payment) for a buyer who asked to pay by bank deposit. The buyer had asked for my bank account details on the previous Saturday (6 days earlier). I told the buyer to let me know when the money was in my account.

When I had not heard back from the buyer by Wednesday evening, I very clearly told him that if the money was not in my account by Friday, and if I had still not heard back from him, I would have to assume that he no longer wanted the item. Friday came around, I closed the case, thought "that was weird" and was happy to leave it at that.

A couple of hours ago today (Monday), the buyer sent me a follow-up message, stating that the money was now in my account and sorry for the delay, etc. I checked the account and a deposit is there -- however the deposit is $0.80 less than the amount that he won the auction for.

While bizarre, the 80c shortchange is not the biggest deal. I am thinking that the best way to procede now (to avoid copping a policy violation) is to ask for the buyer's bank account details, explain that he is no longer able to purchase the item under eBay rules, and refund him the amount he deposited into my account.

Is this the best way to proceed with the matter?

Any alternative thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome.

I am, by the way, now considering disallowing payment by bank deposit altogether. Way too complicated...

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

you have the money less the 80 cents, send the item then put the buyer on your blocked bidders list. sounds like a problem buyer to me best to avoid him in the future.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You could still post the item to the buyer and contact eBay to advise that the buyer has now paid. I've had it happen and just posted the item and advised eBay that I received payment. The buyer cannot open any type of dispute so there is really no reason not to send the item, unless it's because he was 80c short.  Only thing is that I'm not sure if you or the buyer can leave feedback once you have noticed eBay.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Once a UPI dispute is closed and the buyer gets a strike there can be no feedback left by either party.

Unless the 80 cents is a large chunk of the cost I would be sending the item....it is still a sale with no fees being taken by ebay or paypal (they would have been refunded when the dispute closed) and the buyer cannot open any sort of dispute.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Hi designers*n*more.

Interesting to hear. I wasn't aware that you could do that, though I'm not sure if I'm up to being in a long phone queue to eBay to tell them that the buyer has paid. The buyer in question has a taken a long time to getting around to payment (they only asked for bank details once an UPI case had been opened) and after all this running around, I kind of just want to put the transaction to rest. I'll give it some more thought.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Once a UPI dispute is closed and the buyer gets a strike there can be no feedback left by either party.

Unless the 80 cents is a large chunk of the cost I would be sending the item....it is still a sale with no fees being taken by ebay or paypal (they would have been refunded when the dispute closed) and the buyer cannot open any sort of dispute.

Hi lyndal. Yes, I am aware that is a sale without fees, however, unless I am mistaken, if would be against eBay policy to send the item without paying FVFs and I really want to avoid copping a policy violation. Doesn't seem worth the risk for a $7 item.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

There is not much chance of that happening.

I have seen cases on the boards where buyers have received refunds for items not received and later when the items have turned up after a delay in the mail and the buyers repay the sellers, ebay doesn't want to know about it.

And these transactions were through paypal.   There is zero to no chance of any trouble with a bank transfer.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

you have the money less the 80 cents, send the item then put the buyer on your blocked bidders list. sounds like a problem buyer to me best to avoid him in the future.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer sounds like they have a good grasp of ebay rules.  Just send and move on, a sale is a sale is a sale.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I agree, a sale is a sale. I have had this happen before (not the 80c deficit but you are saving the Paypal fee so I wouldn't be bothered by that) and have just sent the item then emailed ebay asking them to remove the strike. The buyer can also ask them. What happens after that is outwith your control so no need to bother about it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Hi Phorum,

That's a good point; I know from experience that eBay are all too happy to remove unpaid item strikes for the most flippant of reasons and silliest sob stories, so the buyer shouldn't have any trouble contacting eBay himself to get it removed if that's an issue for him.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply