What would you do?

Hi guys,

I received two orders on Friday for two items within 10 minutes of each other from two different eBay ID's, however, the address is exactly the same address. Thinking this may have been an error or the person ordered two of a very similar item (perhaps siblings buying for a gift) I messaged the buyer both through eBay and when I did not receive a reply through the mobile number provided. I have still yet to hear back. The items are both for around $1500 each which to me is a lot of money. 

Would you send anyway or does this sound a little suss? All opinions gratefully appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What would you do?

Are they established IDs or guest accounts?

It's possible vouchers were involved, as well. They always have a maximum value per transaction but can be used more than once, so for items around that much each, they could have saved more money by purchasing them separately.

There are often logical reasons for things that look like red flags, and then sometimes the flags just really are red, but it can be impossible at times to tell the difference except in hindsight. A the end of the day only you can decide what you're comfortable with - no reply to messages (through ebay or directly) would make any flags I see raise above half-mast, but again there could be a logical reason for it.

I often just ship things anyway, if it's a risk I'm willing to take, but for higher value orders I tend to err on the side of caution, with the reasoning that if the buyer is on the level and wants to complete the transaction, they'll get in touch sooner or later - though if discount vouchers were involved, they may just be ticked (since they can't be reimbursed / re-used).

How long before the ship-by date? I always include a deadline when contacting buyers about orders I can't / won't ship until I can confirm something - if they know that is one the line, they might be more inclined to respond, at least then (if they respond) you can get a bit more of a feel for the situation. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

What would you do?

Thanks so much Digi as usual. You are so right about the lack of contact magnifying the already red flags. I had not considered the voucher thing either which is a good call. They are long established to be honest, first ID 2010 and second 2015, although not much transactions. At first i thought perhaps hacked accounts. 

I think your idea of sending another message through the eBay messages with a deadline is a great idea. I have until 4th to send these. 

Again so appreciative Digi in the time you give to these boards and the amazing input you provide!! 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply