When Does a Letter Become a Parcel?

A small, thin book which fits in a C5 envelope and is 20mm high, costs $6.95 on the Aus Post calculator?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

When it's over 19mm

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

A letter must fit easily through a 20 mm. slot, weigh less than 500 gm. ( for large letter $3.00 post cost ) or 250 gm. ( $1.80 post cost ) and have max. dimensions of 260 mm. x 360 mm.  It must also be written material ( book, photocopied sheets etc. ) not some other item such as clothing, wood, plastic or metal objects, such as place mats, computer mat etc. Many people send these items as large letters, and some pist office staff oblige, but these items do not meet the actual criteria for a large letter and can be refused letter status ( and price ) by post office staff..

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

So, my book is quite a bit less than 260mm x 360mm. It is written material (book) and fits through my letter box. Can I put $3 worth of stamps on it and post it in the red box?

Or will my buyer get a charge?

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I would only put $1.20 worth of stamps on it $3 is too much

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Ok, will do that and let you know how it works out. Actually, $1.20 was the postage that I charged. I sold the book for $4 with $1,20 postage.

I am trying to clean out my house of the books that are inundating me, but I don't want to pay to give them away.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Can only be of writen material? Can you please show me where it says this in the terms and conditions?

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

I can't see where the OP has put the weight of the item:  if it is more than 125g but less than 250g, it needs to be 3 stamps $1.80.  Not many books are lighter than 125g.     250g to 500g = 5 stamps $3.00.

There is no requirement for "written material" on the Aust Post site:   http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/domestic-letters.html

"To be considered a letter, your item must:

• weigh less than 500g 
  • contain flexible items* 
  • have a rectangular shape 
  • be no larger than a B4 envelope (260mm x 360mm x 20mm) 
  • be no thicker than 20mm

* Letters should not contain stiff objects such as bottle tops, pens, items enclosed in a hard case, and so on. High-speed letter sorting equipment could damage such objects, or the objects could damage other articles."

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

it also then says:

letter mail

means articles that are small letters, large letters, articles lodged under the
PreSort Letter service, Clean Mail Letter Service,
Impact Mail, Acquisition Mail,postage prepaid envelopes, international postage prepaid envelopes, local delivery service or print
post service.

If you then look up what article means it says any object or thing

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/AP-TCs.pdf

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

My book weighs 346 grams packed. It is flexible. 

How many stamps will it take?

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply