Where do I find PayPal fees I've been charged for selling on eBay?

Hi all

I've done some Googling for it and one document says it's on the eBay invoice. Nothing about Paypal is mentioned on my invoice that i can see. 

Another document says, go into Paypal, click the activity tab and then click fees. I don't see a fees tab or anything that says fees in Paypal, even in filters.

Where do I find this information?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

In Paypal. eBay don't, can't legally, and won't have access to your Paypal fees.

Click on any Paypal transaction and you get a breakdown of the total price paid, the fees and the balance. I don't think they provide consolidated informatiohn, but I could be wrong.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Before management payments, you could see the breakdown in Sales Reports.   Are you on Managed Payments?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

In Paypal. eBay don't, can't legally, and won't have access to your Paypal fees.

Click on any Paypal transaction and you get a breakdown of the total price paid, the fees and the balance. I don't think they provide consolidated informatiohn, but I could be wrong.

This is it, thankyou. Although, as you say, you can't seem to get consolidated information for all transactions. PITA having to go into each transaction.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Before management payments, you could see the breakdown in Sales Reports.   Are you on Managed Payments?

I applied for managed payments a few days days ago. Haven't heard anything as yet.

Ok, I've found th area you mean and downloaded a sales report and you are right, it does show Paypal fees. This is good thankyou.

But I'm not sure it's exactly the information I'm looking for. Its interesting info that I didn't know was there and can definitely make use of, thankyou for that, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after. Perhaps I'm not asking the right question.

How are others doing their accounts and where are they getting information from for eBay and PayPal costs?

For example.

If I sell Item A to customer 1 on the 10/1/2021. I presume I want to know for the last month, COGS ( the cost of the goods I've purchased that I've sold) and how much eBay and Paypal have charged me for selling item A, to Customer B on the 10/1/2021.

Is there any way of getting all of that info from within eBay? I know I can get the eBay costs from the eBay invoice. But the sale report seems to just show me that I sold Item A 8 times in the last 31 days and paid $15.51 in Paypal fees for Item A. It doesn't seem to have a breakdown.

How are others doing this?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I'm OCD. Every transaction has the cost, sales price and fees attributed. So I can't help with volume fees.

Once you are moved to managed payments, there won't be any Paypal fees. As far as what eBay will give you, I have no idea. You will probably be on MP before me, as I only received the notification for it today.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I'm OCD. Every transaction has the cost, sales price and fees attributed. So I can't help with volume fees.

Once you are moved to managed payments, there won't be any Paypal fees. As far as what eBay will give you, I have no idea. You will probably be on MP before me, as I only received the notification for it today.

Oh? There won't be any Paypal fees? Sorry, I'm a bit behind in understanding it. I thought managed payments was just instead of an invoice every month, you pay whatever you owe eBay with each transaction and there is no monthly invoice. Do you mean, the Paypal fees and eBay fees are calculated at that point and you just get paid in your bank account what you are owed, minus any eBay and Paypal fees?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@mobius2011 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Oh? There won't be any Paypal fees? Sorry, I'm a bit behind in understanding it. I thought managed payments was just instead of an invoice every month, you pay whatever you owe eBay with each transaction and there is no monthly invoice. Do you mean, the Paypal fees and eBay fees are calculated at that point and you just get paid in your bank account what you are owed, minus any eBay and Paypal fees?

Paypal won't be processing payments. It will all be through Adyen. Buyers might choose Paypal, but the seller won't have a Paypal transaction. That is why the eBay/Adyen fees will be higher. They will be subsuming the Paypal fees. So no Paypal payments, but AFAIK store fees will still need to be funded externally.

My plan is to deposit into Paypal what is required to cover store fees and AP MyPost costs from the bank account my eBay payments go to. That account is only used for online sales, so it keeps it as simple as possible.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@mobius2011 wrote:

How are others doing this?

I don't know if this option is available on all account types, as some things seem to be exlusive to business accounts (which is what mine is), but this is what I do quarterly for PayPal:

On the left-hand menu, click "Financial summaries".

Two options will appear on the right, click  the Financial summary pane.

Set the date range in the fileds, then click "Create Report".

It will create a summary of money in, out, and all fees paid during that period.

You won't need this after switching to managed payments as mentioned above, unless you sell elsewhere and will still receive payments through PayPal. 

I still have to get my eBay expenses, and for that I download a report and tab all of their fees in Excel (well, I use Libre Office's Excel equivalent spreadsheet - both that and Excel work fine, Open Office turns it into gibberish, in case that info is handy). If you need a walkthrough to get a report for eBay's fees (after switching to managed payments, because the options and process are different and I can't access the old way any more so can't be certain my memory is accurate Smiley LOL) let me know. It's a lot more simple if you are  invoiced for your shop on the 1st of every month, as then the statements just go month by month and you can look those up very quickly. I have to go the slightly more convoluted route and generate / download a report so I can get quarterly totals without including data from other months. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply