Where to declare income from eBay sales on tax return?

dh_5346
Community Member

Hi,

I am a small casual seller usually only listing when there is eBay promotions. I do not have an ABN or officially registered as a business - I don’t really plan to/want to as it is not large scale and heard it’s not needed. My question is, is where would I declare income (profit) from eBay sales on a tax return? Hopefully someone has an idea,

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Where to declare income from eBay sales on tax return?

If selling as you seem to be - home office etc.

All it takes to run your business - computer and all accessories - packaging - petrol - etc etc etc

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

In the spreadsheet I use I have a column for supplies that I get from places like Officeworks or even the white satchels I use. It all forms part of the set of figures that I give the accountant.

Some of the things I put forward are:

Occupancy expenses such as rent or mortgage

Home utilities (work out what percentage of your house is used to conduct your business) and then you can claim that percentage of gas and electricity (not water), home insurance and internet etc

Office Supplies which includes packaging/envelopes and consumables such as printer ink etc

Ebay Fees/Store Subscription

Car mileage (for the purposes of posting only)

Etc.

Again, have a look at the ATO website on what is claimable - it has good information.

Also click through to the running expenses link after reading the info below.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Income-and-deductions-for-business/Deductions/Deductions-for-home-ba...

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks Jelly, from that link however it mentions being a sole trader or partnership, so wouldn’t that mean you need an ABN to claim these deductions?

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

No - you don't.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

this is apart from the tax on sales, but have you checked with your house insurer about conducting your eBay activity from home?

There were some stories on abc news webpage some months back.  You can read about it and get links to the stories on this thread:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Did-you-know-this-Sellers-who-sell-from-home-should-read-th...

Might be worth a quick call to your insurer, and ask them to also reply to your email address.

Good luck with your eBay activity.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply