Who leaves feedback first ? Is it the seller or the buyer?

I hope someone can help with my query

I need to know who leaves feedback first?

Is it the seller (me) or the buyer?

I'll copy and paste a message I received from a buyer:

From the tone of the message he was rather arrogant and almost threatening 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Feedback is voluntary. Totally up to you.

Many don't leave any at all.

As for the first, whom ever is first to leave it. Many sellers leave it as soon as buyer pays.

As a seller I don't leave it until I know the item has arrived because once a seller leaves feedback it disappears from all reminders.

From you post it sounds like you have been asking for feedback ?

Don't ask or you may get what many have received.  Red Dot - Here's your precious feedback, happy now ?

image host

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

its  been impression that the buyer leaves feed back first THe buyer leaves feedback first if they are happy. If there is a problem, they contact the seller. It's ludicrous for a seller to leave it first because the buyer might NOT be happy and also in the case of a return, it is WRONG for a buyer to have afeedback and the sale was cancelled or the item refunded.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

There are no rules as to whom should leave feedback first.

I regard feedback as important for my selling profile, so I leave feedback once tracking shows the item has been delivered.

My standard feedback, as first to do so, is "Thanks for your purchase. Please let me know if all is well." If feedback is already left by the buyer it differs.

I'm thanking them and attempting to elicit a hopefully positive response.

About 40% respond.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Feedback is voluntary. Totally up to you.

Many don't leave any at all.

As for the first, whom ever is first to leave it. Many sellers leave it as soon as buyer pays.

As a seller I don't leave it until I know the item has arrived because once a seller leaves feedback it disappears from all reminders.

From you post it sounds like you have been asking for feedback ?

Don't ask or you may get what many have received.  Red Dot - Here's your precious feedback, happy now ?

image host
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Thank you.  I was always under the impression that the person buying the goods should post the feedback first ?

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

The buyer is asking for feedback first
Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

I see, rather impertinent then if they messaged first with demands like that.

I would perhaps send a message - Feedback is voluntary but I will leave it shortly.

Prob best to just leave it as this buyer might do something silly with leaving feedback.

image host
Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

It is entirely up to the individual.

As has been mentioned, it is voluntary.

As a seller, I leave feedback after payment - after all buyer feedback is merely a count of how many purchases received feedback. It can only be positive. I get about 30% feedback these days so my sales are significantly more than my feedback (which is 100% positive).

As a buyer, I leave feedback when I receive the item(s), or whenever I remember. Usually.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

I see he has Private feedback.

With his attitude I suspect he is not too kind to his sellers and wants to hide it from view.

Don't be bullied into leaving feedback until you want to......you don't have to leave any if you are not happy with the transaction.  Just don't give in to temptation and leave him a green dot with a negative comment or you may find yourself in trouble with ebay.

Just hope he has a dummy spit moment and leaves feedback that you can get removed.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

in addition to what kopes said - there's a couple of things to consider with a buyer like the one you're experiencing. 

if they're so adamant that they want feedback left, maybe it's just because they want to increase their feedback score for whatever reason or have some sort of misconception about who should leave feedback first. kopes has said 100% the right thing - it's totally voluntary. some sellers leave it first, other sellers wait for the buyer to leave it. 

though, if the buyer (in your case) is being pushy about it and bordering on aggressive, not leaving them feedback may also tip them over the edge to the point of them leaving you a negative (which would be excessive, but not outside the realms of possibility). 

if i was in your position, i'd probably just leave them feedback, then send them a message explaining nicely that there is no rules as to who leaves feedback first and that if it bothered him/her that you hadn't left feedback, you're sorry, but generally you wait until they leave it first or whatever reason you believe is correct. 

if they then go and open a return or file a INAD claim, i don't see how it could effect you negatively as a lot of sellers do leave feedback automatically upon payment, but if you had an issue you wanted to raise with ebay in regards to it - you could point out that you felt under duress or that the buyer was pressuring you to do so. good feedback from a seller is really no indication about how the transaction has gone as the seller can only leave positive feedback or none at all. all the best with it! 

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply