Why are toys (and many others things), on the list of restricted items for Slovakia?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why are toys (and many others things), on the list of restricted items for Slovakia?

Probably the most logical reason for a country to restrict or ban imports is to protect their own economy and industries.  You'd have to do a lot of looking to find exactly why they do it as it most likely wouldn't be on their websites.

Other reasons could include sanctions by other countries (political/human rights reasons), or trying to prevent diseases coming in (agriculture, etc).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Who knows?    It is hardly the sort of thing that members of an ebay chat board would know.

Have you tried looking at the Customs site for Slovakia?   You may be able to use a translation site if it is not in English, although a lot of these sites do have English translations,.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Second part of your answer is an appropriate response, and may prove to be helpful advice, thank you.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Who told you that toys are restricted items?   There is no mention on the Website at all of toys being restricted?

Maybe it is the type of toy.....toy guns for example?  Or battery operated toys?

And what other things are you talking about?

All countries have restrictions on what you can import and export.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Toys are also on the restricted list to Brazil.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Probably the most logical reason for a country to restrict or ban imports is to protect their own economy and industries.  You'd have to do a lot of looking to find exactly why they do it as it most likely wouldn't be on their websites.

Other reasons could include sanctions by other countries (political/human rights reasons), or trying to prevent diseases coming in (agriculture, etc).

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for chipping in, now we're getting somewhere. Yes, toys are on Australia Post's list of restricted items for both Slovakia and Brazil, probably many others also. I had a buyer in Slovakia purchase a toy from me. The buyer and I were both surprised to learn that it was on the prohibited list, and would most likely be destroyed by Slovakian Customs if I sent it. So we agreed to cancel the sale, and I felt terrible about disappointing him. It was suggested to me, that possibly, Slovakia manufacture their own toys in preference to encouraging anything from international sources. Would just like to know if this is the case, or if there is another reason for the prohibition.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you for your excellent response, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheers!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Who knows?    It is hardly the sort of thing that members of an ebay chat board would know.

I think it is exactly the type of thing that some other sellers or eBay community members may have knowledge of given the global reach of eBay. 

Very unusual claim you make in your post.

Cat Happy

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you thecatspjs !!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply