Why can't I list a solid 9ct gold cz ring in Fine Jewellery category?

There are five and a half thousand cz rings listed in Fine Jewellery, what is different about mine.

Ebay has removed my listing and told me to list in Fashion Jewellery category.

I have contacted customer support and asked this same question but I can't get a straight answer. All they say is I should list in Fashion Jewellery. **bleep**?

My ring is SOLID 9CT GOLD, there are silver rings with cz's listed in fine jewellery.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Cubic Zirconias are not Fine Jewellery even if they are set it solid gold.

If anyone bothers to report all the other Fine Jewellery that is in the wrong category then they will also be removed.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Although Cubic Zirconias and Diamonds are both classified as semi-precious stones, the fact that cz is a manufactured stone precludes its inclusion in the Fine Jewellery category, despite the fact it is set in solid 9k gold. See http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/jewelry.html for more.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

ebay's own category selector is rather out of whack then. When I enter "solitaire cz engagement ring" they suggest I can list in

Fashion Jewellery > Rings

Fine Jewellery > Rings

Engagement & Wedding > Engagement Rings

Vintage, Antique Jewellery

Probably better listed in Engagement & weddings.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

This is the first time in 81/2 years I've been told I can't post in Fine Jewellery.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I would love to hear from actual sellers. Any other jewellery sellers had this problem?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Not a seller of jewellery but was a buyer of gold jewellery but it's all become too hard to sift through the rubbish listings in the fine jewellery cat that I couldn't be bothered anymore.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I still buy quite a bit of Fine Jewellery but rarely search for it in a general search.....there is far too much rubbish listed in the wrong category now.

I stick with searching just the sellers that I have bought from for years.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

It's quite silly really isn't it.  If you walk in to any jewellery shop in a shopping centre they have solid 9ct gold rings and necklaces with cz stones for hundreds of dollars but ebay don't allow it in fine jewellery.  I don't even get why anyone would bother paying thousands for a diamond.  A good manufactured diamond is just as beautiful and sparkley.

Not the cheap pop up type shops of course that sell $4 rings with simulated diamonds.

Sterling silver which is dirt cheap in comparison is allowed.

Joono
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@forgetmenotvalley wrote:

This is the first time in 81/2 years I've been told I can't post in Fine Jewellery.

Then until now, you've been very fortunate that your listings haven't been removed sooner. Ebay's rules are quite specific...

Fine Jewellery and Fashion Jewellery categories

Effective as of 5 January 2010

In order to list items in the Fine Jewellery category, both the setting and the stones (if any) must meet the following criteria:

• The setting must be a solid precious metal such as gold of 9 karats or higher (10 karats or higher if traded internationally), silver of 925 parts per 1000 pure silver or above, or platinum group metals of 850 parts per 1000 pure platinum or above

• The setting must not be plated or filled metal

• All stones in the jewellery must have the optical, physical, and chemical properties of the natural stones

• Any pearls in the setting are naturally formed or cultured

You will need to list an item in the Fashion Jewellery category if:

• The setting is solid precious metal, but the stones are manufactured

• The stones are natural, but the setting is plated or filled metal

• The main stone is natural, but the accent stones are manufactured

• The main stone is manufactured, but the accent stones are natural

HideSome Examples

Diamonds

A diamond is a mineral consisting essentially of pure carbon, crystallized in the isometric system with a:

• Hardness of 10

• Specific gravity of approximately 3.52

• Refractive index of 2.42

If the stone does not meet the above definition for a diamond, you may not list your item in the Diamond or Fine Jewellery category and you may not use the word "diamond" in your listing title or description. You should describe the actual material the stone is made of, such as:

• Plastic

• Glass

• Cubic Zirconium

• Diamonique

• Briolite

• Moissanite

• Rhinestone

• Strontium Titanate

• Quartz

Manufactured stones can be listed only in these categories:

• Fashion Jewellery

• Engagement & Wedding

• Categories especially designated for them (for example, "Pearl, Imitation" or "Simulated Stones")

• Other

You may not list manufactured stones in the Fine Jewellery category or any categories for genuine gemstones such as Opal, Ruby, Pearl, and so on. If the mineral composition of the stone or gem is different from the natural mineral, you need to clearly identify the item as such throughout your listing. So, for example, you will need to use words like "imitation pearl" or "simulated ruby" in both your listing title and your description.

The above is a direct cut & paste from http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/jewelry.html and couldn't be any clearer.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply