Why can't buyers show the common courtesy of leaving reciprocal feedback for their eBay purchases.

I have sold a number of items recently. I have contacted buyers to find out if the items arrived safely and if they were happy with their purchase. 'Yes' and 'yes' they reply, but many of them fail to submit any feedback and thus my feedback score suffers. Why can't people display common courtesy and leave reciprocal feedback if they are happy with their purchases??

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Why can't buyers show the common courtesy of leaving reciprocal feedback for their eBay purchases.

Manners are hard

Feedback is voluntary so many people just don't bother

Funnily enough someone posted the other day asking why buyers were not leaving full feedback for sellers, yet they as a buyer had never left it for a single seller

Other buyers will only leave feedback if it is a red dot, easy to complain

Other buyer's have the opion well, the seller should do x y and z  

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Not all buyers are remiss about leaving feedback so don't tar us all with the same brush.

I always leave feedback for every single item even when a package contains multiple items.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Feedback is voluntary.

image host
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I've bought many thousands of dollars worth from websites and I've never ever contacted them when my items arrived. Mostly that's because I figure they're busy enough without needing to read emails from me when they probably would have no idea what I'd bought, but it's also because I figure there's just no need - they get their money and I get my goods and nothing else matters that much.

As has been said, feedback is voluntary. If it was mandatory you can bet a lot of buyers wouldn't buy on ebay but would go elsewhere. People are busy and all they want to do is buy their goods and then use them.
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

@col-ekta wrote:

I have sold a number of items recently. I have contacted buyers to find out if the items arrived safely and if they were happy with their purchase. 'Yes' and 'yes' they reply, but many of them fail to submit any feedback and thus my feedback score suffers. Why can't people display common courtesy and leave reciprocal feedback if they are happy with their purchases??

Don't ask, you might not like the answer, let sleeping dogs lie, just in case.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Sadly probably 2/3 don't leave any feedback. So frustrating.

It is a situation that you will just have to accept, if you stress about it you will go a little crazy, (although i think we are all a little bit that way selling on here!)

Think of it this way, no news is good news, but if you do receive a postivie comment that is a plus, you are doing all the right things.

eBay send a reminder so just let the system work for you, and please don't chase up feedback yourself as you may not like the replies. 

Just move on- give good customer service and accurate information and you will survive.

Good Luck 

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

As a buyer I will not leave any feeback for a seller unless I receive the feedback first.

Why?

Because I am sick of the extortion game sellers use on ebay. "leave us postive
feedack and well leave you postive feedback ..... etc etc ....

Once a seller has my money and I have paid in a timely fashion the deal my end is done,
therefore feedback is expected promptly.
If I am happy with the product when it arrives I'll leave generally postive feedback.

If I do not receive feedback after paying for my Item I will not leave any feedback at all
or until I receive it first, regardless of the transaction being postive.

At the moment there is almost 70 transactions I have not left any feedback for because of this extortion game.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Please explain what you do with all of this feedback. As a buyer feedback is essentially meaningless. For a seller it actually means something.

And calling the system extortion is, at most charitable, hyperbole.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

it is not an exaggeration, ebay is full of this feedback game.

what else do you call it? feedback blackmail perhaps?

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply