Why do people try to sell gift cards for WAY above face value?

enolak
Community Member
I shop for Xbox gift cards on eBay. Most of the time, I am able to at least have a shot at getting a pretty good deal. However, there are times that I will see a gift card being sold for WAY above face value. For example, there is currently a $50 Xbox gift card listed as a "buy it now" for $136.46. Who are these people targeting? Is this a fraudulent listing? Why would they put such a high price on something that will only ever be worth $50? I'm baffled by this because I see listings similar to this ALL THE TIME!!!! I even saw a $50 Xbox gift card listed for $1000 once. That's ridiculous!
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I don't know why anyone would buy a gift card on ebay anyway...way too risky.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@enolak wrote:
 I even saw a $50 Xbox gift card listed for $1000 once. That's ridiculous!

It got your attention, though, and you may just remember more about that listing than you do your every day, average priced ones, which is sometimes exactly the point.

There are sellers who list items are ridiculously high prices, never expecting it to actually sell for that, but it does draw attention (people will look at it just to see what's so special about it, and since they're there, they might look at other items the seller has). People on and off eBay also draw attention to these listings for the seller, by posting threads or comments exactly like yours, though usually linking to specific items or sellers. ๐Ÿ˜‰  Occasionally there's even small competition between sellers over who can list the most expensive [whatever].

More often than not, it costs the seller exactly $0 for this kind of advertising (I don't do it myself, just saying I've witnessed what can sometimes happen when other sellers have). 

Yet other sellers actually have no idea what they're listing, or so it would seem, they upload massive catalogues of items via file exchange, and pricing seems completely random. 

That's if the sellers have stores or at least regular listings, anyway. If they're just one-off listings and it would appear the seller is actually trying to sell it for that amount, then I have no idea. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

yeah we remember them as scammers never to buy from.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
yeah we remember them as scammers never to buy from.

What's the scam, exactly? 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Most likely the seller is out of stock, puts a ridiculous price on it to keep the listing going, but no buyer will buy it. Free advertising, he's paid for the listing and don't want to cancel it.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply