Why is the Onus of signature on delivery proof on seller?

I sold and posted a $2000 laptop with Signature on Delivery option with Australia Post. Tracking shows status as "Delivered". Buyer claims INR and ebay has ruled against me and asked me to refund. Enquiry with Australia post says the item was "lost in transit" but they cant change the status.

Why is it my responsibility as I have handed over to the carrier and under Good Act in Victoria I have completed the sell. How can I prove or indeed why should I have to prove that signature was checked by Australia post. Any refund to buyer under ebay money back guarantee policy should be borne by ebay. 

What can I do against this finding against me? Can I complain to ACCC?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why is the Onus of signature on delivery proof on seller?

Where I live Aust Post have had a track record of delivering to the wrong address lately. 

Do you know if the buyer has requested a photo of the delivery from Aust Post?  If so can you get a copy (from AP or the buyer)?

I've seen photos of so-called correct AP deliveries from people whose parcels are missing, asking if anyone recognises the house where their parcel was actually left.

With evidence like that, maybe it might help your case with eBay?

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Why is the Onus of signature on delivery proof on seller?

Late reply on this one, but would it have fixed the situation if you paid for insurance cover for 2k?  thats what ive done in the past with expensive items.  However, many years ago, a girl bought a 700$ iphone off me, she got it, then said it wasnt any good, got refunded, was keeping the phone as well.  So I just sent her a letter saying I will come and pick up the phone in person as I have your address, well that fixed things up immediately.  I always knew this bs covid non signing stuff was going to allow people to scam sellers, I just knew it as soon as they started doing it.  Hope you someone got your money or laptop back original poster, you should just visit them and get your belongings back.

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply