Winfield Rugby Collectables

If I put an item on for sale and don't get the price I want to I have to pay ebay anything

I have a rare Winfield Rubgy collectable item which is worth  a lot of money, still in box date 1995 last game played 

This is the front cover won't let me put more attachments on 

Thank you Jennie 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@rourkyone wrote:

If I put an item on for sale and don't get the price I want to I have to pay ebay anything

@If your item sells, yes, you will be charged a percentage of the final total (sale price plus postage the buyer pays @9.9%) as a fee. I also want to stress that you don't have a 'back out' option when selling on eBay and something like an auction doesn't reach the price you were hoping for. Two key things to remember - whatever the start price is, you are offering to sell it for that amount, and if it's an auctuion that just means there's an additional option for people to tender (bid) a higher amount if they wish. And if an item sells, you are contractually obligated to honour the sale and post the item to the buyer after payment, no matter what the end price is.

In other words, if you list an item for 99 cents, you are offering to sell it for 99 cents, and if that's all it sells for, you're obligated to honour that price. 

So, in order to ensure you do get the price you want, make the start price of any auction a price you would be happy to accept.

I can't comment on the worth or potential interest on the item itself, not really my area, but perhaps some others might be able to offer some insight. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@rourkyone wrote:

I have a rare Winfield Rubgy collectable item which is worth  a lot of money, still in box date 1995 last game played 

This is the front cover won't let me put more attachments on 

Thank you Jennie 

Hi Jennie. Welcome to selling on eBay! I just want to back up what DG said about the start price. Start it with the minimum price that you are willing to accept for it. When you start selling on eBay, it's very easy to get caught in the "I have to start everything at 99c" trap.  You don't, you can set the start price to whatever you want. I lost a LOT of money when I started selling, for that reason. My stuff isn't really worth that much, but I was getting 99c for items that I had paid up to $10. I was paying people to take my stuff!! Don't forget the factor in fees and postage costs as well. If it is worth a fair bit, you don't want to lose out on it, or you will kick yourself.

Before you list it, do a search on eBay and see if there are other similar items and see what they are going for. When you list and go to put the price in, eBay may suggest a price, like "start your auction at 99c to gain interest", or "start your auction at or below $XXX - similar items have sold for between $XXX and $XXXX". That is just a guide, you don't have to go with their suggestion, but if you're not sure of the worth, it can be a handy tool.

You could also consider listing as an auction with a buy it now option. That way if someone doesn't want to wait until the auction finishes, they can buy it straight up.

If you have any concerns, ask as many qestions on here as you like. There are a LOT of very experienced sellers on these forums who are more than happy to help new sellers have a positive selling experience.

Good luck with it!

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

And to be clear about items that start with both Auctions and Buy It Now (BIN), as soon as the first bid on the auction is made the BIN disappears and the auction should run until the end.  The BIN is not a reserve. Reserves are only for a few select categories usually vehicles and the like, but not your item this time.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@book-of-hezekiah wrote:

And to be clear about items that start with both Auctions and Buy It Now (BIN), as soon as the first bid on the auction is made the BIN disappears and the auction should run until the end.  The BIN is not a reserve. Reserves are only for a few select categories usually vehicles and the like, but not your item this time.

Good luck!

I've actually been wondering about reserves. I thought they were only for things like vehicles and a few other select categories, but I have seen reserves on coins and gemstones, and a few other things that I didn't think would fall into the select few categories. Would these sellers be listing them under the wrong category to be able to list them with a reserve? I've never seen the option to set a reserve when I've created mine, so not even sure how it's done.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

They would be listed on another site, as you can still use the reserve function in some categories (other than motors) in the US; not sure about other sites. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

the UK ebay also has reserves in some categories, but only for items over a certain value, (i think its about 30 or 50 pounds, cant remember)

but ebay AUST. only has reserves in motor vehicles and real estate

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you all very much, I thought you would be able to put a reserve on anything you wnated to sell.

I will have to do some more research as I have looked on eBay and there is nothing there like the one I have so I need to 

go outside eBay to look around I think

Thanks Jennie

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply