Winning bidder thinks the bidding on my auction they won was dodgy..... which it was not!

I am not sure how to reply to this buyer.

Buyer contacted me tonight after I sent an UPI for an item sold 5 days ago. They said they are reluctant to pay as  the auction comes off as dodgy to them. Also they said it was uncanny 2nd last bid was $1 less than their highest bid.

There is nothing dodgy at all... I presume she is alluding to shill bidding.. which is not the case - 2 other bidders apart from herself.. neither known to me. 

The amount it reached is about right for the item.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Winning bidder thinks the bidding on my auction they won was dodgy..... which it was not!

Sorry i forgot that bit,very tired from xmas shopping all day.

Pretty sure you can't change from UPI to cancellation.I haven't listed since Nov 1 so I'm a bit rusty.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: Winning bidder thinks the bidding on my auction they won was dodgy..... which it was not!

Looks like that option (leaving the UPI open, they pay or not their choice) is the only one left now.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

You are best not to cancel as said above a cancellation leaves it open for buyer to neg you and UPI dispute once closed they can't. I wouldn't even give them the satisfaction of replying. Block them and close the dispute as soon as you are able.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

I am thinking that way too now. The buyer did have 5 days before I opened the UPI, to contact me and voice any concerns. 

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

I am thinking that way too now. The buyer did have 5 days before I opened the UPI, to contact me and voice any concerns. 

Dear [Buyer]

Thank you for your message, I can certainly understand and appreciate the concern when the bid activity on an auction looks unusual, however I can assure you that I list all items in good faith, and with starting prices that I'm more than happy to sell for should there be no competing bids.

Unfortunately, I am no longer able to manually cancel this transaction as the process to void it and refund the fees charged on the sale has already been initiated, but this will still mean that the transaction will be officially cancelled on [X date] so you won't have to proceed with the transaction if you are not comfortable to do so.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know and I will do my best to assist.

Kind regards

[seller]

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

DG you have such a way with words. LOL. That's great.
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

You could go to the item and click on the bids and when the bidding page comes up click on

Show Automatic bids.

Then take a screen shot and send that along with any reply.

Or just give them the instructions on how to do so.

Most of those type of queries are generally because they don't understand the bidding process.

This is especially true when the underbidder or top bidder might have placed their maximum bid days ago and

the last bidder just passes the maximum or goes one bid short of winning the item.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you d.g for that sample letter, it is excellent.

I probably won't use it this time, but will save it for future use.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

go tazz - 

This is especially true when the underbidder or top bidder might have placed their maximum bid days ago and

the last bidder just passes the maximum or goes one bid short of winning the item.

Yes, I think that is what happened.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
DG you have such a way with words. LOL. That's great.

batting eyelashes Flattery will get you everywhere, LOL. 

am - I use similar wording about the UPI process in a variety of different circumstances and it seems to work quite well in so far as letting people know why it was opened (recover fees), and now that it it is, they don't need to do anything else about the transaction. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply