Worst buyer ever - Ebay no help

I have a buyer who purchased a baby suit on August 16th. The item was sent via Standard Post so no tracking. The buyer has said that the item has not arrived  (in 2 Ebay messages, 3rd Sept, 3rd Oct). A message was then sent via email with the Paypal receipt attached saying that she demands a full refund on 31st October

I had the feeling, from the wording of her demands outside Ebay and from the beginning that this was not true so I sent a replacement baby suit on 2nd November via Registered Post (and uploaded the number to Ebay) which was delivered on 7th November. On Friday night, 11th November, the buyer opened a Returns Case stating Item Not As Described and added photos of the envelope with fabric scraps comming out of the envelope.

Upon calling Ebay, I find that there is nothing I can do. I have to accept the return and refund the buyer and also pay for the return postage. If she sends me fabric scraps instead of one of the baby suits, there is still nothing I can do as this is what she stated she recieved and as she provided photos, she has evidence apparently.

I now have to lose 2 x baby suits, original postage, 2nd postage + registered cost plus however much she pays for the return postage. On top of all this, I am most likely going to receive negative feedback. I am really disheartened by this experience and another where i refunded for a non receipt but received really bad (and unwarranted) feedback from a serial neg buyer yesterday. This is really F****d up

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First mistake was sending a replacement especially using registered post. If the first one sent did not have a big enough profit margin to warrant the use of tracked posting then it is unlikely it made economic sense to send a replacement at a much higher cost.

You would have been far better off just refunding in full and blocking her so she couldn't buy from you again.

If you are certain she is going to send you back rubbish why would you pay for that return? Just refund and don't ask for it back.

If you feel strongly enough about it report the buyer to ACORN for perpetrating fraud on line.

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

First mistake was sending a replacement especially using registered post. If the first one sent did not have a big enough profit margin to warrant the use of tracked posting then it is unlikely it made economic sense to send a replacement at a much higher cost.

You would have been far better off just refunding in full and blocking her so she couldn't buy from you again.

If you are certain she is going to send you back rubbish why would you pay for that return? Just refund and don't ask for it back.

If you feel strongly enough about it report the buyer to ACORN for perpetrating fraud on line.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you. I should have refunded. I usually try to send another if I have one available so that the customer is happy. I constantly fear that I will get negatives and my sales volume will decrease which has happened in the past.

I have accepted a return because that is what Ebay advised would be the best option for not receiving negative feedback. I have just looked at the Return Details and I have the option to Refund Buyer still available and will use this. Thank you.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I noticed you are following 5 members.

You may like to add this one to your following. Smiley Wink

(we can then see if she should get a party invite)

image host
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I am a bit surprised by the time line.

A genuine buyer would (you would think) contact you via ebay messages, it would be the easiest way. And I can't figure out why she would choose 31st Oct as a deadline for settlement if she bought on 16th Aug.

So I suspect you are being scammed. Just refunding instead of paying for the return of what will probably not be the original item (as you are doing), is the best way to go.

I'm wondering if maybe you need to up your prices a little bit  in future so you can pay for postage with tracking.

It won't completely stop scamming artists but it will make it slightly more bothersome for them so maybe you'll avoid a lot of trouble that way.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I now only have 2 members I follow on a public setting. The others were people I regularly buy from who are no on a private setting

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you. That was my thought also with the first item. I didn't think it was possible to scam with tracking and signature but she did.

I am so very surprised that Ebay has allowed this action - swap item and claim Not As Described, in this manner. It sets a dangerous precedent for sellers rights which are, in this case, zero.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yep;   well named buyer Smiley LOL    I think she deserves the invite.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I noticed she regularly seems to cop a lot of incredibly rude sellers.

Such an unlucky buyer.Smiley Wink

I haven't struck a rude seller in years.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

OP's 'lovely buyer' is not going so well in the selling arena either, stars and rating trashed and she is a very angry person going by some of the FB left for others and follow up's to her own negs.

Wouldn't you think members who both buy and sell would be more ameniable and understanding of each other.

Way to build up a business NOT!

Also noticed she has 97 followers - one wonders are they buyers or pi**ed off sellers like OP ? LOL

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply