a seller's mistake ( hopefully my last)

i recently had a bit of a spill up with my last buyer ( it was my fault).

i said i could reudce the price of 3 items after he purchased them . i'd send him an invoice with the new price. much to my knowledge, i found out that you could'nt actually change the item price in the invoice, only the postage price. that's a mistake i wont be making again thats for sure. 

my question is if you've had a similar experience , how did you handle it?

any kind of response would be great Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You could do one of two things - cancel all the current sales and relist the items as a lot for the agreed total, though keep in mind the reason you select for a cancellation may result in a defect (I have not incurred any defects as yet for choosing 'buyer changed mind' or 'other' as the reason, but other sellers have reported they did).

Or, generate an independent invoice via PayPal (if the buyer can pay that way) for the correct total and then mark them as paid on eBay - you will pay FVF on the eBay total that way, still. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
The only way I know of to discount multiple items is to cancel the invoice and reissue.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

hello thanks for the reply

what i actually did realise is  that i should of relisted the items at the agreed price. however he and i did reach an agreemet. i just refunded the extra money paid by him ( via paypal) that was above what we discussed 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@kiracage wrote:

i just refunded the extra money paid by him ( via paypal) that was above what we discussed 

Oh, ok - I didn't realise the buyer had already paid. 

You can actually make discounts on an invoice after a sale, but only on postage, so sometimes you can work it out that way if you can discount the combined postage enough to equal the agreed upon amount, but if the discount needs to be more than the combined cost of of postage, cancelling and relisting, an independent invoice or (as you did) refunding any overage are the only ways to do it.

If the items in question are single-quantity (i.e. only one available), you could also add make an offer to the listing before they are sold so that the buyer can submit the agreed amount, that way each item will sell for the lower price once the offer is accepted. 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply