aus post is going to employ machines to deliver parcels

just read page 3 of the sun today  ap are going to buy drones for $10.000 each they can carry 2kg  and go 25k   but are looking at ones that can carry 10kg.  they only made over 3 billion profit on parcels last year. now they want to get robots to deliver there parcels.

i just want to know how are these drones going to knock on your door   or card you. then again the last couple of deliveries we got they did not knock on my door either. lol

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

could you imagine contacting aus post and saying , i have a problem with your driver, aus-post  discribe the driver , well he was on a flying saucer type car and he was small and had green hair green skin.   aus post would say cream skin and hair, and i would say green not cream.  oh i know which driver that is ,his name is flying-high.what was wrong with the driver . [he cant spell and his blocked from delivering to my place [capise]

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

It's going to be busy up there.

robot.jpg

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Oh, wow.

Check out some of the public outcry:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/australia-post-to-trial-drones-for-parcel-delivery/news-st...

My favourite comments:

"How many powerlines and other obstructions are going to hit?"

"ANY DRONE IS A HOT TARGET TO BE SHOT DOWN AS THEY ARE 99% SPYING DEVICES."

"Par Avion!"

"So the criminals will follow a drone, use a net gun or slingshot to bring it down and score a 2kg parcel and a $10,000 drone."

"Let's start with a drone replacement for the CEO - then we won't have to pay it millions of dollars."

"Why not leave the parcels on the street corner with a sign 'Take Me'"

"Nothing surer than it will be deemed to endanger the habitat of numerous never before heard of breeds of bird life."

Robot surprised

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

maybe they will have a new policy  instead of will your parcel handle a 20kg parcel droped from a meter high on it ,  now it will have can your head handle having a 2 kg parcel falling from the sky on to your head., in case the drone bumps into a bird or a plane or superman.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Absolutely outrageous!!

What if one fails, falls to the ground, not only parcel being lost BUT the injury to persons that could occur??

I would think a better idea would be to simply just have a BIG collection centre - yes inconvenient for us to collect but most of the time heavy parcels are not left any way and are needed to be collected at the local P.O.

Create employment AP, open a purpose built Collection Centre and then we can go and get them OR hire a courier to collect them once a week maybe??

AP are constantly whinging about not making a profit on letter deliveries - HOWEVER with the billions it makes on parcel deliveries more than makes up for the loss.

They have lockers at Shopping centres,  Woollies click and collect why not have along side the local P.O a collection centre just for parcels to be collected.

Drones... for goodness sake, can you imagine AP getting paid also by the Govt or other agencies to SPY!!

If they do go ahead with such a ridiculous idea, they MUST assure the recipients (without cost) should the parcel be damaged, stolen or lost we get compensation!!!

I can see the drones landing in swimming pools, dogs attacking them, old people being scared out of their wits, and of course machines do make errors!! Delivering to wrong addresses etc.

Oh what a world to look forward to NOT

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Sigh ....... drones are definitely a problem.  Perhaps the AP driver will release them at a central point in the neighbourhood ......... oh dear, I just cannot imagine.

As an aside .... I do know that drones are now a serious privacy issue where the paparazzi are using them.  An Australian celebrity's bathroom that does not overlook anywhere, has now had to install window coverings after spotting a camera drone through the bathroom window (this is a true story).

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

What an absolutely brainless idea!!!

$10K per drone - AP would have to buy thousands of them, as they'd only be able to deliver one parcel at a time.  Far more economical to engage more drivers who can put heaps of parcels in their vans.

So would the AP sorting facilities have to construct hangars to house the drones overnight?  Would AP have to build drone-a-pads for the incoming/outgoing drones?

The whole thing sounds like the 'plot' for a Z-grade movie.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

they could have there on parking spot numbered and they can call them cars. and if a car is missing they could call out [car 54 where are you]  or you could have 1 drone say to another drone , what happened to you yesterday you look battered , and the other drone would say ,i ran into a tree yesterday , how did you do that, i had a delivery to jennifer hawkins house and she was sunbaking topless in her back yard. 

then i call out 86 where are you  , just coming in now chief and bang crashes on car 87   , and you here 86 say  missed it by that much

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

And if it did - unfortunately drop on your head - how could you sign for it.?????

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply