best offer accepted but buyer does not pay

kattyrie
Community Member

Something that seems to be happening more (at least it is happening to me anyway...). A potential buyer makes an offer on an item, I then accept the offer & issue the invoice for payment. Then...nothing, i.e. they do not pay. Nada, Zilch. In the meantime, my item is now automatically taken off ebay 'for sale', while all the item's 'watchers' are notified the item has been sold. Obviously, this means I'm losing out on a potential sale to some other genuine buyer. Is there a procedure for reporting these very annoying people who don't pay up when an offer is accepted?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You could change your listings to "immediate payment"?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Once 4 days have elapsed open a non-paying bidder case. If they then don't pay in a further 4 days, close the case. You will be refunded your selling fees and can then relist.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Are you saying there is an option for a 'best offer accepted but pay immediately'? I thought it was an automatic setting for all 'best offers accepted' having 3 days to pay, i.e. without a pay immediately setting.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the info. If I open a case is the bidder/non-payer then sanctioned by Ebay? When this issue of a non-paying buyer has happened previously to me, I have of course relisted my item after three days have elapsed, but have been unable to find a way to report the non-payer.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, the non payer gets a strike if you close an unpaid case. And feedback can't be left.

They won't be able to bid or buy if they get 2 or more strikes, from seller with blocks.

Set your buyer blocks in site prefs and also add any non payer to your BBL so they can't do it again.

image host
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for that info. I will see if I can find the relevant pages.

And if I have this correct, and going by the other information people have supplied here, then what i need to do is:

1) open a case with ebay for non-payment

2) if ebay finds them 'guilty' they get a strike against.

3) I can go to site preferences and I can set my 'best offer accepted' option to be best offer accepted but 'pay immediately'.

4) Block the culprit from any future bids/offers/purchases

?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

To add to your blocked buyer list, add their ID here https://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

To set up buyer requirement blocks https://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences set the unpaid option to 2 in 12 months. Make sure at the bottom you tick to apply to current and future listings. Also tick to block blocked buyers from contacting you.

If you open a non payer dispute after 4 days, it is vitally important that after 4 days you close it. If you don't manually close it, it's pointless opening it. Closing it gives you your fees back and also gives the buyer a strike against their account. The 4 days is 4 days to the second. If you open the dispute at 4.28pm and 38 seconds on the 20th, you can't close it until 4.28pm and 38 seconds on the 24th. If it's too soon, it will display the time that you can close it.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

1. 4 days after sale date an unpaid item case can be opened.

2. Buyer has another 4 days to pay. If they don't then close the case.

3. The buyer automatically gets a strike when the case is closed by you.

4. Neither party can leave feedback, you get a fee credit and can relist.

Seperately add the buyer to the BBL in site prefs, buyer requirements.

Also select the blocks you want to block past non payers or new accounts.

When you make a listing, select  Immediate payment required in the payment information.

image host
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

If your setting require immediate payment you could try this strategy:

Decline offer and submit a counteroffer for $0.10 less than potential buyers offer.

If they accept - they have to pay immediately.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply