beware new buyer scam for freebie

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had a claim that I sent a wrong item,  went into nervous breakdown asked the buyer what she had received and it was something that I have never had. So obviously she had the right item but would like it for free. How do you prove this is one big fraud, so be warned. 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Call her bluff. Tell her "That's strange" I don't sell those items so it must be someone else. See what she says 🙂 Tell her to call ebay about the mix up.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I'd also add to calling her bluff by asking for a photo  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter I know I never sold what she said I sent her but the problem is they can make a claim that it was a different item and how do I prove other wise. I have had this once before, thought it was a once wrote it off as shop lifting so just beware.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

If she does open a case, I would contact ebay about it saying it is a scam. they could then look into it and hopefully they can prove it. Anything is worth a try.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you thought that it might be a genuine mistake?

I would answer her and tell her that you have never sold the item she has received and that she needs to check her other sellers.

Don't look for trouble.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not looking for trouble.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

It looks to me as though you are looking for trouble.  You are calling the buyer a scammer, trying to get something for nothing.

It would not be the first time I have seen buyers come to the boards saying they have received a parcel and have no idea which seller has sent it.

Rather than assume the buyer is a scammer, just reply that you have not sold the item she has received and she should look at her other sellers.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help, perhaps I have had just one too many scammers that I see trouble in everyone. Happy new year to you too.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

About 6-months ago we had a buyer bought 8x 2-metre lengths of headband material we sell all in different colours.

We use a template to measure so we don't easily make mistakes when cutting.

About a week later we got a message from her saying that all 8x lengths were only 1.5 metres.

We knew that to be incorrect. We could undertsand we might have made an error on 1 length but not all 8.

Anyway to avoid the impending NEG we sent out the additional 4-metres she was claiming. End of story so we thought.

About another 10-days later we got another message from the very same buyer claiming that some items we sold her were short on quantity. But she had not made any other purchases from us and the items she was claiming we don't even sell.

So we thought it looked like she had sent this message to us in error and was trying on the same thing with a different seller.

Rather foolishly I replied that it now looked very much like a scam and that we would be reporting her activities to ebay. She immediatley left us 6x NEGs and two accidental Positives with negative comments.

So over the next few months despite numerous calls to ebay and PayPal we were unable to get them to remove the NEGs despite the evidence against her. There must have been a serial trail in her correspondence to other sellers to suggest to them that she was scamming but they would not look at that. The associated defects have dropped off our radar now as we are on a 3-monthly report cycle. But the NEGs still show.

Big mistake and lesson learned by us to pick your battles carefully. ebay openly support this kind of activity.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply