brand new users with similiar names buying with click and collect, scam?

la838
Community Member

Hey everyone, last week I had a new user buying one of my items, I went on their user page and saw that they created their account on the same day that they bought my item using buy it now. I didn't think much of it as they paid via paypal immidately. It was a click and collect address so I sent it off without issues.

Today the exact same thing happened again, a different new user bought another one of my items with buy it now, and their account was created today as well. Again they paid via paypal and it was a click and collect address.

The thing that caught my eye as both username has a similiar structure, with a mix of numbers and characters and dashes, for example, heoi-jok-odkh5tgi3

Now, my question is, there a scam going on or is there another maybe a 3rd party service out there that is creating these account for their users to purchase these items? These are both cost items (<$100) so I'm not overly worried but would like to know if any of you guys know anymore about this.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Not scams.

Those types of ID's are the guest accounts.

So if a person wants to try eBay before they start an account they can buy as a guest and eBay give those ID's.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Ah that makes sense. Is it a new thing? I've been selling for a while and last week was my first encounter.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

No, eBay have been issuing those as guest ID's for as long as I can remember.

eBay do have certain promos at times for people to try as a guest so maybe that accounts for it.

image host
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply