buyer requirements unpaid items

So since Turbo lister is no longer i am listing manually, which actually hasn't been as bad as i thought it was, seems the process has been streamlined quite a bit since i last did so. Anyway in my account preferences under 'buyer requirements' it says 'Block buyers who: Have received 4 unpaid item(s) within 1 month(s)', so it must have taken that from the last items i listed with TL.

But that is the exact wording, it does not say 'upaid item strikes' like i think it used to. I never really thought about it before but always assumed it blocked buyers who had 4 unpaid items reported by sellers (4 for eg in my case) even if they paid after that. Or is it actually if they are reported but DO NOT pay? The wording now seems to indicate this but i want to clarify...

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It is the number of unpaid item cases closed against a buyer within the selected period.

In other words the number of strikes issued because they didn't pay.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It is the number of unpaid item cases closed against a buyer within the selected period.

In other words the number of strikes issued because they didn't pay.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

4 in one month, you're lenient! Mine is set to 2 in 12 months. Each to their own though.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

yes but thats because i thought it was 4 reports not finalized non payments filed, thanks to kopenhagen5 i now know to be tougher lol. I've just changed it to 3 within 6 months, too soft?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

2 in 12 months is the toughest setting. It depends on how generous you want to be to the serial pests.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Up to you but I think that is ok as you sell items in the $20-30 range.

If you sell $2-5 items or fashion items then I would go for the toughest like tippy has.

The rationale IMO is that your items are lesser likely to have buyers click and not pay as much as smaller or change of mind prone items.

As well, you always have the option of opening a case if you do get a non payer which is not all that hard.

Some buyers have strikes but still pay.

I think 3 in 6 months is a good balance.

image host
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@clickbaitoz wrote:

yes but thats because i thought it was 4 reports not finalized non payments filed, thanks to kopenhagen5 i now know to be tougher lol. I've just changed it to 3 within 6 months, too soft?

how many unpaid item strikes have you had in the last six months?  Maybe set the standards you expect of your buyers based on your own buying experiences on eBay.  If you think 3 strikes in 6 months is okay then do it, but you would be in the minority on these boards.  There are members who post here that think that even a 1 in 12 months setting would be too lenient.

I'm with tippy, set it at 2 in 12 months to protect yourself and other sellers.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

i've barely listed/sold in the last 6 mths so its not all that relevant, i'm more of a collestibles seller than new items & not really high volumes. I think the most items i ever sold in a month was about 40,  & had maybe 3 out of those, thats going back years ago though. I think buyer behaviour has changed a bit since then.

On one hand buyers are more savvy since Ebay's been around longer, on the other hand sellers can't leave negative fb for buyers for any reason & many know that. I've noticed in the last few yrs alot less buyers bother leaving me fb, & i've clicked on enough profiles to see some of them NEVER leave fb for sellers.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

ii think its a good balance too. Ironically, as a buyer (i have a seperate account for that) i recently changed my mind about a magazine i won because i found i already had it after winning. I politely explained that to the seller who then replied lecturing me on how i can't just change my mind after bidding lol.Smiley Tongue

Then i must admit i sent a rather terse reply stating again it was an innocent mistake & i already knew the rules since i had over 1k positive fb points.. She then refused to sell me the other magazine i won a few days before & blocked me from bidding on any of her items.

Needless to say, i was not happy & it still grinds my gears lol. Mainly because since i had been buying for like 15 yrs, i think theres less than 5 items i did not pay for & every time i communicated with the seller rather than just not pay & go silent (which i hate because its such a waste of a sellers time). Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

So you think it is OK not to pay because you made a mistake! I imagine you will be on a few party lists. Why didn't you just pay up and then on-sell the thing to get your money back.  Many sellers are sick to death of buyers who change their minds after having purchased and many, including myself, would just have waited the 4 days then opened an unpaid item dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply