buyer syas he hasn't received item

A buyer sent his grandfather to pick up a set of Jensen home theater speakers (which were way too heavy to post) and now says he didn't receive them, even though I have texts from him thanking me for the speakers, what do I do now (newbie seller)

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The buyer should have received a QR code that should have been scanned when the item was picked up. If his grandfather picked up the speakers, he should have signed and added that he was picking up the item for his grandson.

Communication should always happen on eBay. Do you mean SMSs with texts? Another seller had a similar problem recently. If the buyer had confirmed receipt of the item in an eBay message, maybe you would have had a chance, but now it is difficult, judging from what other sellers who were scammed in a similar way said on this board.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

He sent me a text message (which has his phone number) saying, 'thanks for the speakers, just dusted them off will test tomorrow'.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Just another thing he paid for the speakers and the money is on hold and now he is saying he didn't receive them

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Unfortunately text messages don't count for eBay.

Please look at this recent thread, where a seller was scammed in a similar way (he also received text messages thanking him, but eBay sided with the buyer anyway):

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Ebay-refunded-buyer-saying-item-not-delivered-when-delivere...

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

is it worth going to the police for $400.00 dollars?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, I would think so.

If cameras catch people stealing something in a shop, they can call the police even if the item is really cheap, and $400 is good money. The buyer has basically stolen the item.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I think so too.

If you can screenshot the text - print it up - don't delete the text whatever you do - take the print and the phone with you - to the station.

You could also text back - this is what you are doing - making a police report - the case may be closed.

In future - do the scans.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, it is. 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

Do you happen to have cctv which would clearly show the pick up? 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply