buyer wants me to cancel a sale for their error

Hi - buyer bought without reading description - in large letters red too, and in several times over pickup only ...blah blah.

they want me to cancel sale from sellers end.  I know dashboards has changed but as it is their error and already cost me one of my listings....I'd like them to initiate the cancel sale.  they haven't yet paid.

they says being a seller themselves its easy yadda yadda, however I don't want reduced marks on my dashboard

have things changed?  this is getting so terribly tedious, I even emailed them the steps to cancel the transaction.....

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

A buyer cannot cancel a sale, you have to do it.  If you have an eBay message from them asking to cancel, you can do so safely, just use the first option, "Buyer made a mistake" and eBay will look for the message from the buyer.  You should not receive any defects for this.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

thanks penny, seems that procedure has changed since january.

have activated the cancellation, altho now byer has to confirm and that they received a refund.  (altho they haven't paid!).

for someone simply not reading a description such a time waster!! and they say "oh silly me"!  grrr

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Personally, I would have just opened an unpaid dispute after 4 days. I've done that a few times now. It's the safest way if they haven't paid. That way if there was a glitch in the system, I wouldn't get a defect (even though you're not meant to for selecting the buyer changed mind option).

I'd send the buyer a message saying that I will open the dispute and for them to ignore it. Also ignore eBay's automated emails for payment. After 4 days the dispute will automatically close and it will all be done and dusted. They don't need to do anything else. Never had one complaint! Mind you, I didn't tell them they'd get a strike recorded on their account either and none had appealed to have it removed (the message under the sold item changes when they've had the strike removed).

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

yeh I didn't want to go through the risk of them paying by paypal and then I have to refund and you end up a little out of pocket as pp keeps a proportion of it.

also got a bit complicated as they bought another item as well.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

That's why I send the buyer a message saying not to do anything and to ignore all requests for payment, it will all be done this end.

In the past I was happy to cancel on request, but with the cancellation process still buggy, it's self preservation for me. In the event that I did send a cancellation, I'd send the buyer a message saying they needed to accept it as soon as they could so there would be no ramifications to either of our accounts. If they think their account could be affected in some way, they hit that button pretty quickly!

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Tippy, I think that the reason a lot of buyers are loath to do anything about cancellation requests is the wording in them....very threatening.

It is a long time since I have had a cancellation request sent to me from a UK seller......there was no animosity between me and the seller as he admitted that an employee had messed up the postage on the listing but I was horrified when the request landed in my inbox.  It made me feel very much that it was all my fault and my account could be sanctioned.  I very nearly refused it but as I had bought a lot from the seller and wanted to do so in the future, I went ahead.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Tippy, I think that the reason a lot of buyers are loath to do anything about cancellation requests is the wording in them....very threatening.

It is a long time since I have had a cancellation request sent to me from a UK seller......there was no animosity between me and the seller as he admitted that an employee had messed up the postage on the listing but I was horrified when the request landed in my inbox.  It made me feel very much that it was all my fault and my account could be sanctioned.  I very nearly refused it but as I had bought a lot from the seller and wanted to do so in the future, I went ahead.

I have never seen one do not suppose there is a copy anywhere if there is I would love to read what I send out when doing a cancellation 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Sorry, I cannot help you....it is years since I have had a cancellation sent to me.

But it is/was fairly typical of ebay's heavy handed rude communications style.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Just cancel it, why give the buyer a strike because of a mistake, i'm sure if you made a mistake you wouldn't be happy about getting a strike.Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply