can I try to remove marks from clothing before opening a dispute?

Hi, after a bad experience buying clothing off ebay I decided to try again......

purchased a couple of pre loved items they arrive and both have marks on the front.

one I don't think the marks will come out the other item may come clean.

the marks stand out, they are right there on the front of the items, can't miss them really.

only fault on one item is the mark on the front the other item has marks on the front a cigarette burn on the hem at the back (could cut a bit off the hem and re-hem) and 2 large holes on the inside of each side where I'm guessing breast pads were cut out (not sure if I can do anything to fix that)

question is can I give the items a wash, try to remove the stains now or should I open a dispute before doing anything?

I have messaged the seller haven't heard anything back yet but did only message them today so will give them a chance to reply first.

they are preloved items, the listings didn't mention the stains or the other faults but I also didn't ask if the items had any stains, burns or cuts, can I still open a dispute or is it just bad luck and part of buying preloved clothing?

if I can get the stains out then I can wear one item and try to fix the other problems on the 2nd item but if the stains don't come out they are wearable if you don't mind the stained look.

thank you for your help

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: can I try to remove marks from clothing before opening a dispute?

Don't do anything to them before you talk to the seller, leave them exactly in the condition received.

Take photos of the damage, and email each seller with a description of the damage, and attach the photo.

You can contact them through the listing by scrolling down to "ask a question" or contact seller in purchase history.

Decide whether you would like a partial refund for cleaning/repairs, or a refund.

If the sellers don't respond, or are not willing to take some responsibility, open an item not as described dispute if you paid with Paypal and take things from there. Don't let it go past 45 days from payment, you'll lose this protection.

You are best to talk to the sellers first. Keep all communication through eBay messages or the Paypal resolution centre.

If you wash/try to repair, the sellers might argue you did the damage.

This has happened to me, normally a seller will be reasonable; flaws like these do need to be described or clear from pictures in the listing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 73
Latest reply

Edit: Amber beat me to it! lol

You should not wash the clothing.

Wait for your sellers reply. Take photos for evidence to show the seller and see if they will do anything to help. If they allow you to try and wash it then go ahead.

Treat it as a transaction in a retail store. Items should be kept as is, otherwise it is you who has "tampered" with a "perfect" item  Smiley Happy

If they don't reply, then you should open up a dispute. They should reply then.

Message 3 of 73
Latest reply

is it the red, blue or checkered dress/s?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 73
Latest reply

Thank you will wait for the seller to respond.

the light blue dress has the mark on the front looks like food or drink was dropped/dripped on the front

the checked top is the one that has 2 round spot marks on the front looks a bit like dry/old blood the stain is bigger on the inside, the burn on the hem and been cut on the inside of the front at each side I'm guessing to remove breast pads.

all easy to see, didn't even need to put my glasses on.

the red dress from a different seller is in great condition.

Message 5 of 73
Latest reply

Sellers like yours annoy the bewhatsits out of me! They make it all the harder for all sellers of second hand items to get buyers, anyone buying their first couple of ebay purchases from sellers who deceive will likely never trust ebay again, especially if a seller demands a not as d3scribed item is returned at the buyer's expense even though photos have been provided.

It doesn't make good business sense anyway, I describe every fault down to the minutest detail and surprisingly enough those items will often sell for more than a perfect item lol. I do of course occasionally miss something but would never make the buyer pay to return it.

If they do not offer refunds then you have to decide if it is worth the cost of returning them if you win a Paypal dispute, at the very least I would open one even if it is just to tie up the seller's funds, if you win then either return and leave a neg or if it is not worth the cost just leave a neg, please fot the sake of the rest of us.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 73
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Decide whether you would like a partial refund for cleaning/repairs, or a refund.

It is up to the seller to determine if they wish for the garment to be returned by you for refund, or it they will offer you a partial refund.

They may not be prepared to offer you a partial refund with no return, and sellers are not obligated in anyway to do this - not should it be expected that they would.

Message 7 of 73
Latest reply

It is up to the seller. It was also up to the seller to list all flaws or better still, throw a highly damaged garment (the stained cut one) away.

However, in my experience a seller is more likely to be amenable to a partial recompense than a full refund for undescribed damage.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Personally, I would not want to keep the item with stains AND cut outs. That sounds horrible.

In a Paypal dispute, the buyer can also arrange with the seller for a part refund by asking for it; if the seller agrees, refunds the agreed amount, the buyer then closes the dispute.

Paypal will not themselves give a partial reund, only a full one, if it's decided in your favor, and usually upon return of the item.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 73
Latest reply

Basically, you are going to have to pay return shipping if you open a Paypal dispute to get your money back.

So it's worth talking to the seller first to see if they are willing to pay for cleaning, if you want to keep the items.

Message 9 of 73
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
It is up to the seller. It was also up to the seller to list all flaws or better still, throw a highly damaged garment (the stained cut one) away.

However, in my experience a seller is more likely to be amenable to a partial recompense than a full refund for undescribed damage.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

With due respect Amber as you have lots of buying experience, please "temper" your encouragement of others to ask up front for a partial refund, as it is a tactic that is employed frequently by scammers, and it may serve to get a sellers back up if the suggestions "reads" as a demand - and not work in the buyers favour at all.

So what may seem as a "harmless" suggestion, may be viewed as an attempt to scam depending on how it is worded and a buyers feedback history.

At a minimum, if you persist in giving that advice, at least advise that such a request should be very carefully worded so as not to read as extortion.

Some sellers will offer a choice to a buyer if there is an issue that is the sellers fault - others won't, it is 100% up to the seller to determine.  

Message 10 of 73
Latest reply