do you have to sell to the winning ebayer if you are not happy with what your item sold for at auct

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: do you have to sell to the winning ebayer if you are not happy with what your item sold for at a

I'm sure they would have been around when the OP started selling.

I even had to do it when I started selling on this ID. Scored 100%, naturally.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

Re: do you have to sell to the winning ebayer if you are not happy with what your item sold for at a

I wasn't forced to do them, but did them when I accidentally came across them one day while looking for something else.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

You made this mistake before with the spark plugs and I am sure you was given the same advice then. You really need to start auctions at a price you are willing to sell at.

If you have an item that is worth $25 and you start an auction off at $1 of course you will get a bid on it because the person who buys it at $1 can resell it or they  have got a bargain now that buyer may of been willing to pay $25 but he will never have to pay that unless a second buyer, who is also willing to pay $25, bids as well.

The only time it is worth starting an auction low is if it is a popular item and will get lots of  hits and the price you are willing to take is extremely low compared to what the items sells at for example the average selling price is $100 but you make a profit at $25 then you should find most sell at over $25 and some up close a few even over $100. Of course you need to have an endless supply to do this even.

Never start an auction lower that the price you are happy to take and personally BIN is a better way and just wait for the right buyer to come along they are out there if your prices are fair.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

You know the answer 

If you don't want to sell it, don't list it

if you list it, only list it at a starting bid which is the minimum you are really willing to accept

If you choose to list it for less and it sells for less,you need to honour the sale

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

If you bid on an auction and won, and shortly after the auction the seller contacts you and says the item is no longer for sale, how would that make you feel?

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Once I had a seller contact me later to cancel because apparently the item I had won (a stack of books) was 'pick up only' and not Free Postage as she had advertised all week- I guess that is a different matter - but.. don't sellers get a defect of some sort for bailing out of a contract? 

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

audio, 

Some people would not feel good if that happened to them - but I wouldn't feel all that great if I won such an auction!

Most definitely would feel like I have just comitted a high way robbery.

I would be the first to instantly offer the seller a true value of that item - and have done so in the past, with only one seller refusing extra money. The others gratefully accepted.

And that wasn't really done for them, it was done for ME!

And OP - for whatever reason you start your items low - no, you don't have to sell it to the winning bidder if it's going to mean a substantial loss. If your buyer can't understand that (after all, he bought it for a same reason - a substantial GAIN), let him leave a bad feed back - as that is all he can do, as no one can force you to hand the item over.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

I thought that even with a number of 716 after your name, you might have only been a buyer, but when I looked, you had 4 pages of feedback as a seller, so you're not exactly new to this.

If you haven't worked this out yet, here's a rought guide.

-Start the auction at something you would be willing to sell for. Be realistic. That doesn't mean you have to start at your vision of what the top price could be, but think of what your grudging min would be-the amount where you'd figure it wasn't a great price but you'd be willing to part with it for that rather than be stuck with it.

-Factor in your ebay fees to that minimum price.

No, you don't have to sell, no one can force you, you'll still be allowed on ebay but don't make the mistake a habit.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Thankyou for your reply I will adhere to what you've said.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Jean, There is a report seller for non performance but there are also doubts whether eBay act on those unless a seller is reported for many of those.

image host
Message 20 of 21
Latest reply