eBAY AUSTRALIA dropped off line right when my auctions were finishing. I lost big time

eBAY AUSTRALIA dropped off line right when my auctions were finishing. I lost big time.

Customers now emailing saying would have bid twice higher.

Ebay says they didnt drop out. I know they did as i couldnt log on either.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: eBAY AUSTRALIA dropped off line right when my auctions were finishing. I lost big time

hi every friday arvo for the last who knows ebay does maitenance and lots of things go haywire. having auctions finish on a friday arvo is a no no. and i agree with you buyers cant bid also..my friday auctions dont start until after 7 pm  so that its in the clear of matinence.   it happened to me 4 years ago  and ebay said you can cancel those auctions and give back te buyers money  , but you better check now , if thats ok

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: eBAY AUSTRALIA dropped off line right when my auctions were finishing. I lost big time

Joe, I think you will find that what happened to you when ebay allowed the cancellation of transactions was a world wide ebay meltdown.

That is not allowed just because buyers/sellers were inconvenienced by Friday maintenance.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

They definately dropped out. I would put a complaint in with the NSW department of fair traiding. As far as selling to the highest bidder I don't think you have much choice unless the buyer is OK with it. If it was for a lot I would cancel the sale and cop the defects and possible negs. Then try to get them removed which is highly unlikely..... Trying to resolve something with ebay is near pointless unless there is a specific policy for them to go by, even then the helpdesk don't seem to know the policy.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

eBay will not be at all helpful regarding this issue and it's no use contacting CS.

Friday is indeed maintenance day and things go awry pretty much every week (sometimes a little but often a lot).

They time their maintenance for Aus business hours because the US has gone to sleep and the UK/Europe is yet to wake up.

(minimal disruption to eBay's main markets)

Apart from the suggestion already made to cancel and accept the subsequent defect/neg there's not a lot you can do.

Just use this as a learning experience (a hard lesson I know) and have nothing to do with eBay on Fridays.

I use Friday to do paperwork, reasearch, produce images, do things that don't rely on a solid connection to eBay servers.

Sales are very slow on Friday anyway as I think most customers tend to avoid the site or just go away when pages won't load etc.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

I too can confirm that ebay dropped out almost totally here yesterday for well over an hour in the afternoon. System would not show any details on most pages pertaining to transaction details and would not even allow logging in at times with errors such as "incorrect username & password" despite correct details being entered.

Some pages even showed browser errors stating the page did not exist.

I would pursue ebay for loss or inconvenience if you have been financially disadvantaged.

Lately this site is becoming a joke as far as anything working properly is concerned.

As far as finishing time for auctions is concerned I would advise not having them end on either a thursday or a friday at any time on those days.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I thought I was having computer issues as I kept on getting "check web address - does not exist" every time I typed in ebay.com.au.  That went on for nearly 5 hours. No maintenance was being done at that time.  This was from about 11am - 4pm.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@lizzyamelia wrote:

I thought I was having computer issues as I kept on getting "check web address - does not exist" every time I typed in ebay.com.au.  That went on for nearly 5 hours. No maintenance was being done at that time.  This was from about 11am - 4pm.

If you are talking about Friday afternoon 4pm is right in the middle of ebay maintenance time.

There can be issues from midday till well after 8pm at times, and ebay never tells you when it is happening.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply