eBay Buyer Protection

criten
Community Member

Was very surprised to learn that eBay Buyer Protection even exists the other day. Apparently this is offered to buyers who use the ebay.COM website. Visitors to ebay.COM.AU will get PayPal Buyer Protection. There is one substantial difference in terms for dispute resolution - PayPal requires only that proof of shipment is provided, eBay requires that proof of delivery is provided and goes as far as being labeled a "Money Back Guarantee"

eBay Customer Service were more than happy to advise me over the phone that I should always ship with a service where tracking is available.

Am I right in thinking that the Seller Centre and all guides supplied by eBay only reference PayPal Buyer Protection, that there is no clear outline that items sold worldwide will have different terms depending on the localized website the buyer chooses to use, and there is no recommendation on these guides that I should always ship with tracking?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

eBay Buyer Protection

There's heaps of info on the AU site about selling internationally and for sellers to be aware of the requirements of other sites.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/intl-ov.html

Also, I think any seller wishing to list an item available for sale on other sites needs to read and accept the eBay international seller agreement before the listing will be accepted.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

@criten wrote:

Was very surprised to learn that eBay Buyer Protection even exists the other day. Apparently this is offered to buyers who use the ebay.COM website. Visitors to ebay.COM.AU will get PayPal Buyer Protection. There is one substantial difference in terms for dispute resolution - PayPal requires only that proof of shipment is provided, eBay requires that proof of delivery is provided and goes as far as being labeled a "Money Back Guarantee"

It is relevant to consumer laws in the country in which the differing protections are offered.

That is, in countries in which the seller is responsible for the item until the buyer receives it, proof of delivery is required whether PayPal or eBay buyer protection is used.

In Australia, the seller is not legally responsible for delivery, only postage, therefore proof of postage is what is required and if eBay buyer protection was introduced here, the same parameters will apply.

International policies has complicated things, so eBay introduced the international selling agreement, whereby most sellers who list items available to overseas buyers will have to agree to abide by the respective country's policies.

An Australian buyer who logs into eBay.com and buys and item should not be granted eBay buyer protection (and eBay / PayPal have - allegedly - agreed with that), however, unfortunately, it has been successfully used in that manner in the past.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

eBay Buyer Protection

If the buyer is covered by eBay you need to provide proof of delivery (ie a signature) not just proof of postage.

You arte probably right about the Seller Centre and guides as they are for eBay Australia where the protection is provided by Paypal.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

there is no eBay buyer protection for things sold on eBay.com.au

for items sold on the au site and paid through PayPal, you only need tracking and proof of lodging.

for items sold on eBay .com you also have to prove delivery.

if you are logged into the au site, then it would be my guess that anything in the selling centre related to items sold on the au site.

if you are selling to other countries, you really need to be cognizant with the terms and conditions for items sold on their sites - so if someone is logged in on the .com site when they purchase - it's their rules..... or the UK site etc etc etc

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

There's heaps of info on the AU site about selling internationally and for sellers to be aware of the requirements of other sites.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/intl-ov.html

Also, I think any seller wishing to list an item available for sale on other sites needs to read and accept the eBay international seller agreement before the listing will be accepted.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

@criten wrote:

It is relevant to consumer laws in the country in which the differing protections are offered.

That is, in countries in which the seller is responsible for the item until the buyer receives it, proof of delivery is required whether PayPal or eBay buyer protection is used.

In Australia, the seller is not legally responsible for delivery, only postage, therefore proof of postage is what is required and if eBay buyer protection was introduced here, the same parameters will apply.

International policies has complicated things, so eBay introduced the international selling agreement, whereby most sellers who list items available to overseas buyers will have to agree to abide by the respective country's policies.

An Australian buyer who logs into eBay.com and buys and item should not be granted eBay buyer protection (and eBay / PayPal have - allegedly - agreed with that), however, unfortunately, it has been successfully used in that manner in the past.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

ebay buyer protection.....really!  I've not recieved an item which I paid for on Paypal, I've attempted to lodge a claim only to find that I'm not covered by paypal and not covered by ebay buyer protection....so how exactly is it that I'm protected.  At the moment a seller has my money in his account and he has even re-listed and re-sold the exact item he sold to me and never delivered!  What a farce!  I've been buying and selling on ebay for about 10 years and I've never come across such a ridiculous and unworkable "buyer protection" scheme.....bring on a direct competitor to ebay!

A waste of time, a waste of effort.  Now I'm about $100 down, I don't have my item.....great protection guys.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

Alpha, why don't you have buyer protection from ebay or paypal?

If the item was bought before 1st November your only option is paypal protection.

Is it over 45 days since the purchase or is the item not eligible for protection?

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

And tacking it onto a 13 month old thread when the rules have changed, rather than starting a thread on the BUYER board, or even reading any one of the myriad threads about the issue, is probably unproductive.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

Ooops, my bad.  I did not even look at the date of the OP.

Another Zombie thread dragged up!!   *Sigh*

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Buyer Protection

All you can, really.

It's hard to educate people.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply