eBay Volume Pricing Dysfunction

Tried using the volume discounts and any edits do not carry through to listings or search function. When my Promotional Volume Pricings are set at 5%, 7% and 10% yet they show something completely different on listings and search results (3, 5 and 7%), it's a big worry. I reported it to management but so far no fix implemented. I have the chat transcripts and eBay know this is a big problem. This dysfunction, along with associated poor implementation of "Promotional" strategies have severely affected our sales. Changes should never be implemented globally unless they have been thoroughly tested and evaluated first. Sellers are your backbone but if you feel like me, you are feeling hurt.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

People here are sellers too (and buyers) ebay staff don't read here though

When you say you reported it to management, how did you do this ? (*if* it was via email, it is unlikely to have even been read as emails to ebay are just a bot generated set up)

I'm not sure if you have spoken to a supervisor yet ? 

There were huge issues with ebay yesterday and the CS in the call center told different people different stories, so save any and all communication you have and have it handy if you do request a call back from someone higher up

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I have chat transcripts. They include supervisors and higher management being consulted. I'd recommend to all sellers and buyers to always use a written form of communication when dealing with eBay for reasons which become obvious the longer you deal with them. Thank you too for your quick comment enigmabear, I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@waddingtonfirstaid,

Unfortunately, it is in the very highest degree unlikely that you spoke to management.

eBay Chat is staffed by the lowest level CS reps, and they don't involve supervisors and higher management. They don't have management level staff nearby to be consulted. Rather, these CS reps simply read off (or rather, type off) chat scripts based on keywords.

The task of eBay's CS reps is primarily to get complaining eBay members out of the chat as quickly as possible, and to that end, soothing placebo comments are the norm. "I assure you we have escalated this to the correct department", or "We take this very seriously and I've consulted management", or anything of that sort is code for "Blah blah blah."

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I can assure you it was escalated to upper level management as was stated by the people chatting with me and putting me on hold every time they had to consult. I didn't spend hours on chat over two separate connections, combined with 3 days' evidence including screenshots, just to have this matter fobbed off. I'm also a database developer so I think I know when something like this becomes quite serious and, as evidenced by what was supplied in the chat, eBay supervisors know this too. Countessalmirena, I know that eBay can be very frustrating but never ever accept a situation of resignation when serious matters are at hand.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@waddingtonfirstaid wrote:

I can assure you it was escalated to upper level management as was stated by the people chatting with me and putting me on hold every time they had to consult. I didn't spend hours on chat over two separate connections, combined with 3 days' evidence including screenshots, just to have this matter fobbed off. I'm also a database developer so I think I know when something like this becomes quite serious and, as evidenced by what was supplied in the chat, eBay supervisors know this too. Countessalmirena, I know that eBay can be very frustrating but never ever accept a situation of resignation when serious matters are at hand.

We are currently approaching the one year anniversary of when I hassled eBay so much about an issue I was experiencing, they stopped providing customer service through Facebook... (and no, the issue has still not been fixed). 

I'm being a little facetious, of course, I expect the timing was a genuine coincidence, but if there's one thing I do know is that ebay are very practiced at giving even your most seasoned eBayer that necessary little glimmer of hope, but it is a viscious cycle.

Contact eBay > explain issue > rep advises no such issue has been reported before [despite either you, or someone you know, absolutely reporting it before] > rep suggests stock standard "have you tried turning it off and then on again" solution > roll eyes, advise CS rep that the problem is assuredly on their end > speak to "upper management" (side note, have you ever worked in a retail store where customers constantly asked you to 'check out the back' for stuff that's not on the floor, even though you've already told them all of your stock is on the floor and even the computer says there's no more stock, but then just to shut them up you go out the back, browse memes on your phone for a while, then come back out and say "sorry, I looked everywhere". Sometimes "satisfy the customer" means give them the impression you have met their expectations when the initial problem can't be resolved, but I digress, back to ebay.....) > upper management advises issue has been escalated to tech team for resolution > feel satisfied that finally, something might be done about issue > wait > realise weeks or even months have gone by and nothing has changed > Contact eBay....

BTW, I recommend getting eBay to call you back, discussing over the phone, and requesting all information provided during the call to be copied to an email and sent to you. Chat staff speak to multiple people at once, phone staff can only speak to you (unless they have hidden talents Smiley Very Happy ), and so are more likely to get a better understanding of the problem. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

100% agree

That is why I asked our OP if they had spoken to a supervisor 

So many members here have been told by chat staff or call center CS staff they have escalated something or been put on hold

But in each case, what were told each and every time was not true

That is why it is important to speak to a real supervisor in person on the phone, As mentioned, you can request that the conversation be copied and emailed to you

Unless you were very very lucky (and it does happen, but VERY rarely) it went no higher than the person at the other end of chat

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Please see today's transcript and the temporary fix to this issue which, as stated, is still in the hands of supervising staff and management for a better more permanent fix (some here may say this is eBay lying but all I can do is state here what they tell me in writing - chat - they are doing). I must say that I believe eBay has actually done other things inbetween time because I did try clicking "Pause" a week ago and it certainly did not provide a "Delete" option for starting a fresh promotion. It apears to me on the surface that the software has core look-up, verification/validating scripting issues.

My promotional volume prices are not showing 5%, 7% and 10%. It's been almost a week. When will this be fixed?
2018 - 12 - 09
02:12:31 UTC Michelle
Good day! Thanks for contacting eBay Australia Live chat! My name is Michelle, can I have your full name please?
02:12:40 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Neil Waddington
02:13:21 UTC Michelle
Hi Neil! Hope you are having a great day today! I see that your promotional volume price are not showing and its been a week. I do apologise for the inconvenience you had.
02:13:33 UTC Michelle
Please give me a minute here first to check on your account
02:13:41 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Thank you.
02:14:23 UTC Michelle
You're welcome! Just like to confrim, are we referring to the volume pricing on your promotions?
02:14:47 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Yes, all 6 are not showing properly.
02:15:58 UTC Michelle
I see. I am on the page right now and I can see that the end time for the volume pricing is December 3 and 4. I can also see only two volume pricing promotions here
02:16:18 UTC Michelle
This could be also, the reason why its not showing.
02:16:36 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
There should only be one but they both show the same 5, 7 and 10% anyway.
02:16:57 UTC Michelle
I undersatnd that and thanks for confirming.
02:17:17 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
The edit function is dysfunctional.
02:17:28 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
There is no delete function.
02:17:47 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Updating it is dysfunctional.
02:18:27 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
I reported it a week ago and I was told in transcripts management knew it was a problem and it would get fixed.
02:19:14 UTC Michelle
I see and I understand that. I do apologise for the inconvenience you had. Allow me to check here first on what we can do for this.
02:19:29 UTC Michelle
And also, may I know if you have tried to create a new promotion?
02:19:29 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Thank you.
02:20:03 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
The last time I got chat help, a second promotion was created but as you can see, it did not work either.
02:21:15 UTC Michelle
I see. Let me check here one moment please
02:21:26 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Thank you.
02:22:52 UTC Michelle
Sorry for the long wait here
02:23:38 UTC Michelle
I have double checked here and I do apologise for the misinformation. I can see that the promotion will end on 2021
02:24:02 UTC Michelle
And how about this, can we please try to delete one of your promotions and create a new one?
02:24:19 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
How do you delete them?
02:24:32 UTC Michelle
Can you please go to your promotions
02:24:44 UTC Michelle
And then please select one promotion
02:24:56 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Done
02:25:01 UTC Michelle
and click on the drop down arrow and click on "Delete"
02:25:17 UTC Michelle
After that, please create a new promotions.
02:25:27 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
I only have "Pause" or "View" - NO Delete
02:25:56 UTC Michelle
https://www.ebay.com.au/sh/mkt/promotionmanager/dashboard
02:26:02 UTC Michelle
Please open the link
02:26:14 UTC Michelle
and please tell me if you have othe options
02:26:16 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Yes, that is where I am already
02:26:29 UTC Michelle
Click on pause
02:26:40 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
and there is no Delete function. That is why i said earlier that this is dysfunctional
02:27:09 UTC Michelle
I do understand that. But can you please click on "pause" ?
02:27:27 UTC Michelle
And after that please tell me if what options are you able to see
02:27:51 UTC Michelle
I don't mean to rush but I would just like to check. Are we still connected?
02:28:05 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Yes
02:29:08 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
OK, I have closed the https://www.ebay.com.au/sh/mkt/promotionmanager/dashboard browser tab and reopened it and now I can see a "Delete" option that was not there previously.
02:29:47 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
So I will delete both volume pricing promotions for 3 and 4 Dec and I will see what happens.
02:30:19 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
OK, they are deleted.
02:30:36 UTC Michelle
I see and please let me know if it will worked.
02:31:13 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Yes, I checked a listing and it has not got the volume prices on it.
02:31:25 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
So now I will try and create a new volume pricing?
02:32:00 UTC Michelle
Can you do that please? And let me know if it worked?
02:33:23 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
OK, it has worked. thank you.
02:33:36 UTC Michelle
Perfect! You're most welcome Neil! Glad I was able to help you today. Thanks so much for your time!
02:33:37 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
It's taken almost a week to get this sorted out.
02:33:48 UTC Michelle
I see. Glad that this time it worked.
02:34:00 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Why was there a problem to start with and why did I not have the "Delete" option beforfe?
02:35:14 UTC Michelle
I'm not really sure why it happened but as for the "Delete" option. For you to be able to get that, you will need to click on pause and action should be showing "Resume" and after that you'll get the delete option.
02:35:53 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Well that needs fixing because who will ever do that?
02:36:08 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
The "Delete" option should be there always.
02:36:28 UTC Michelle
Yes, I understand that and no worries. I'll send a follow up report with regards to this issue to have it fixed.
02:36:50 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
I'll post this temp. fix on the forum citing the issue.
02:36:59 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Thank you for your help.
02:37:08 UTC Michelle
I appreciate your feedback and will forward this to our Technical and management team so that we can improve the site.
02:37:20 UTC Michelle
You're most welcome Neil!
02:37:33 UTC waddingtonfirstaid
Thank you. Have a good week and holiday time!
02:37:49 UTC Michelle
You're welcome! Thanks for choosing eBay! Have a great holiday!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I tried to post today's transcript citing a temp fix but someone deleted it. What a waste of time using these forums is.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Nobody forces you to ask questions of experienced members. If you wish to rely on lowpaid Filipino call centre staff reading from preprepared cheat sheets, that is your prerogative.

Just don't expect the answers to be useful unless the query is very simple.

The only people who can delete posts are the moderators, btw, and they have very specific guidelines.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply