eBay automatically passing a return

How can eBay automatically pass a return, for a buyer who changed their mind, when I did not choose this?

I spoke to them, and they were so thick in their answers, I could not handle it anymore.

They kept telling me that I chose this, then when I proved them wrong they then said eBay does it automatically when you have returns. I kept telling them that never in 11 years has this been automatic. They said I need to cancel the returns all together. But I have never had this, and I asked when did this happen and how can I change this they kept saying cancel it all together.

I spoke to 5 people

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: eBay automatically passing a return

The link that digital*ghost provided above (by the way thank you) also states: If the seller's policy requires the buyer to pay for return shipping for change of mind returns, requests for returns are accepted automatically. My policy does not, as stated above it says IF THE SELLERS POLICY REQUIRES, not the seller now does not have a choice if they choose to have the 30 day returns.
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

I do not know where any of you live but as here in Australia generally, a store does not have to give a refund or replacement if a customer simply changes their mind about a product. Under the Australian Consumer Law, the customer is only entitled to a refund or replacement for a major problem with a product covered by consumer guarantees. My common sense told me that eBay can not do this automatically when you accept returns. Not only that even if you do not accept returns on eBay you it says you still need to abide by the legislation for returns. Under eBay help it states there that:

Setting your returns rules
EVEN IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT RETURNS WHEN A BUYER'S CHANGED THEIR MIND, YOU CAN USE RETURN RULES TO HELP YOU MANAGE RETURNS FOR ITEMS THAT DON'T MATCH THE LISTING.
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

You have misunderstood how return policies on ebay work.

You are correct that an Australian business does not have to accept change of mind returns....but you forgot to mention that it's unless they say they accept change of mind returns. If they say returns accepted (even conditionally), then they are legally obliged to uphold that policy. 

On eBay, you are provided the choice to accept change of mind returns via the return policy (you don't get a choice about accepting returns for items that are not as described, so your return policy has nothing to do with those situations). 

If you select to accept returns, you are selecting to accept change of mind returns.

Perhaps you need to read this page, which (among other things) very clearly states:

If you accept returns, it means a buyer can return an item for any reason, including because they changed their mind or chose the wrong item. Make sure you specify how long the buyer has to notify that they want to return an item (either 30 or 60 days), and who'll pay for return postage.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/returns-refunds/setting-returns-policy?id=4368

If you do not want to accept change of mind returns, or if you want to have the ability to decline change of mind return requests, you need to change the policy you have to no returns accepted. 

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply