eBay closed request after only refunding 1 of the 4 items of an order

I'm the seller. One of the plain letter envelope orders (untracked) I sent in January is now apparently lost by AusPost. The order contained 4 items. Single transaction with 4 items in it.

Buyer raised a request. I said sorry and asked him to maybe wait for 2 more days. And told him I would ask him again, if it's still missing I will issue 100% full refund.

Now the wait is over, I asked buyer again. He said it's not arrived still.

I then went to the request details page and hit "Refund".

However it only displayed 1 of the 4 items. I thought it would display the other 3 items later but it didn't.

Only 1 of the 4 items was refunded, and the case is now closed.

I feel bad and don't know how to respond to buyer again, how should I promptly refund the other 3 items ?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

get their  bank a/c details or paypal

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Never mind. Since the case is now closed. If I go to the order history page. I can now issue refund to the other 3 manually. The status of the order is "partially refunded" with the amount equal to original value minus refunded amount.

It's strange can a buyer raise a request against 1 / 4 of an order only ?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

You only have the buyers word that it is "lost".

Why not use tracking or domestic tracked letters? A basic DL registered letter is about $3.00.

I hope the value of the order wasn't too high.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

You only have the buyers word that it is "lost".

Why not use tracking or domestic tracked letters? A basic DL registered letter is about $3.00.

I hope the value of the order wasn't too high.

Thank you for the reply. It's about $50 together. I'll definitely send them registered next time.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Chances are, your buyer actually received the package, but as there was no tracking, they are trying to pull a swifty. If they got refunded for one item, be grateful. If the case is closed, leave it at that.

There are truckloads of "savvy" buyers who see something come untracked, so claim not received to get a refund, as they are opening their untracked item, knowing the seller doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I refunded all items last night.

However the package arrived today to buyer's house, after 28 days with AusPost.

Buyer asked what's the best way to pay me again. Should I just give him my PayPal details or somehow create a phantom listing and name a price with the same amount, so eBay will also get the fees back.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I have been in similar situations (and I also got the items hours after a refund...), and usually sellers give me their PP details, but I guess it's up to you.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

I have been in similar situations (and I also got the items hours after a refund...), and usually sellers give me their PP details, but I guess it's up to you.

I re-created a listing with the same content as what buyer purchased, and the same price. Titled it as " . . . For a Previous Order, Please Do not Purchase unless you are It's intended existing customer." and sent the link to buyer to purchase again.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer purchased again. All good now. Thanks everyone.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply