eBay forced a refund for what was really a just a buyer being picky

So, I got a return request for a Funko pop that a buyer admitted he look pretty close up to see this little flaw in the corner of the package. I told the customer that I don't see damage, it doesn't effect the item and that even after seeing the photos I would have still sold this as new, and that Funko's often come with flaws on the box just like it or similar. And when I asked eBay to step in and close the case they decided against me. I sold the item as new, I didn't promise mint, or collector grade, it's Funko's own policy that the box is not considered part of the item, but eBay forced this refund anyways.  What is the best way to approach an appeal, I'm really considering pulling all my inventory over this. This is not a defect or damage, and I really feel like eBay allowed this very picky customer to abuse their return policy, by claiming this little flaw measuring less than 1mm on the box of a toy is somehow a defect, that somehow stops the toy inside the box from being usable.   

253850382_10224001897066804_6366585180128621741_n.jpg

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Firstly, you are on the Australian boards here so things could be different in the US. BUT, your first mistake was to advertise the item a "new" which would imply no damages at all, then your second mistake was to ask eBay to step in, where they nearly always side with the buyer in disputes.

Just take it as a learning curve on what not to do next time.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Sellers will virtually never win against a buyer who opens a Not as Described dispute

You should have authorised the return so that at least you got the item back. If you don't issue a postage label or refund, then the buyer gets to keep both.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

You sold a defective item,  in future accept the return and lift your game

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

How is this a defective item? If I had to throw away every Funko that had a rip in the fold, and imperfectly creased corner, or numerous other issues I'd have to toss out 40-50% of some master cases I get. If I sent this photo in to ask for a replacement, which sellers can do, I would be denied as this would not consider this little blemish a defect. I think people just have an entirely too high expectation for the quality of a box on an item that wholesales for $5.00 and it's a glorified McDonalds happy meal toy, when Funko itself considers the box to be nothing more than protective padding for the item inside of it. 

Funko's own policy for new items:  Blemishes to packaging will not be considered as part of a damaged item. All replacements will be at the discretion of customer support. Please be aware of the following replacement limitations:

We design our packaging to protect the collectibles inside, and we do not seal our boxes for this very reason. We encourage you to take your Pop! figures and other products out of the boxes to enjoy them! Even if you choose to keep your figures in the boxes, we are not able to replace packaging.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I think what sugar is saying (a bit harshly 😀)   is it would be better to mention the condition of the box ... apparently real collectors are very picky about the box as well as the item.   So maybe "new item in damaged box"   would protect you.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

You sold the item as new but there is a tear clearly visible in the packaging. I don't even know what a Funko is but you should have stated in the item conditions something like " item is new but has a minor tear on the corner of the box as per 3rd. photo". That's what I would have done, be upfront about it, then both you and the buyer will know exactly what item is being sold.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Buyer is definitely being picky.  100%.  But few things to consider.

1. You're selling on Ebay's platform.  Ebay's rules thus apply.  Funkopop's policy on boxes is as relevant as the list of ingredients on your corn flakes

2. Like it or not, in many instances these items are purchased as collectible items.  The production of the items is limited making them collectible.  As a collectible item, packaging is important.  Again, Funkopop's policy is totally irrelevant.

3. I suggest you consider grading your items and using variant items to separate the items that are mint, near mint, lightly played and so on.  Beware that you can not change an ebay listing from a normal to a variant item.  You literally have to delete your items and recreate them.  You lose your sales history too.  I had to do this so I know how painful it is.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you for your well thought out reply. I'm going to add something like "while my items are factory new, some blemishes to the box or figure itself may be present, I cannot guarantee collector grade, but major damage like large tears, large creases, and smashed corners will be sorted out"

I'm referencing Funko policy, as Funko boxes are pretty flimsy and are not sealed at the factory and not intended to be kept in the box, so it kind of adds to the expectation of both the quality of the box, as well as making a point that the box itself it not part of the item. In my mind that would be my expectation wherever I purchased this item

I listed the item as being new from a factory new case, and it was listed in the entire case quantity, the photos were not individual, which to me says "item may vary from picture shown"

I know collectors are picky, and it's why I have dropped subjective terms from my listing like "near mint" or "excellent" I just with go with new, in my mind this item was new for it's purpose as a toy and I did not list it as more than that. If the customer had contacted me beforehand I could have picked the best one I had or even offered photos of it, but I always tell people when they do, I cannot guarantee it will be collector quality as condition is subjective, and it puts to much pressure on me to fell I'm going to be upsetting someone should I miss something. Some collectors notice they smallest things most people would never see

I do weed out all the ones with major tears, smashed corners, notable paint marks where they don't belong, but tears near corners, imperfect edges, and on the the Pop itself, paint lines are off sometimes, sometimes paint goes over a line, and a very high percentage comes like this, and I cannot weed them all out, nor can I give the time for an item with thin margins to add separate conditions. And if I tried to claim what are truly blemishes, not defects like this to Funko, they'd tell me the item is fine, even distributors I work with would tell me this doesn't meet the threshold for damage or defect. if someone wants to be this picky they should go to specially toy stores online and look for those who offer a collector grade option, which on pops generally adds $5+ dollars to the cost. I felt if a toy was being offered at retail + shipping someone would expect it to be of average quality, which I feel this one was. It was still new by every definition, the itself it not broken or defective, and I truly feel the buyer was allowed to abuse the defective item refund policy.

I could load up the screen here with photos of dozen's and dozen's of Funko pop with splits in the corners of the creases, or rough edges, but out of the 1000's sold, this was the only person I've dealt with to have a problem like this. I open 200-300 toys a day from factory boxes, 50-60% would not meet collector expectations, companies make items to be toys first, not collectibles, and the flimsy tightly packed often smashed boxes they come in are proof of that. There are many more high end option at premium prices, and those are the ones where people should be more picky with. 

From another angle the item has a crease, not a rip. 

253724832_10224001905307010_4490696438373259711_n.jpg

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

@1oldrustything wrote:

How is this a defective item? If I had to throw away every Funko that had a rip in the fold, and imperfectly creased corner, or numerous other issues I'd have to toss out 40-50% of some master cases I get. If I sent this photo in to ask for a replacement, which sellers can do, I would be denied as this would not consider this little blemish a defect. I think people just have an entirely too high expectation for the quality of a box on an item that wholesales for $5.00 and it's a glorified McDonalds happy meal toy, when Funko itself considers the box to be nothing more than protective padding for the item inside of it. 

Funko's own policy for new items:  Blemishes to packaging will not be considered as part of a damaged item. All replacements will be at the discretion of customer support. Please be aware of the following replacement limitations:

We design our packaging to protect the collectibles inside, and we do not seal our boxes for this very reason. We encourage you to take your Pop! figures and other products out of the boxes to enjoy them! Even if you choose to keep your figures in the boxes, we are not able to replace packaging.

Yes that may be funko's own policy you have stated,  but I don't see that anywhere on your listing,  allthat your listings state is ''

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). 

Your item does not comply, so it is defective,  if you want to hide behind funko's policy,  you need to specifiy that policy,  not claim that it is an undamaged condition.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply