eBay, please answer basic questions re this mornings Webinar on MANAGED PAYMENTS

Immediate questions spring to mind. Would love eBay's response.

1. Under the new scheme, item/s need to be posted upon receipt of order.

The video stated that eBay will guarantee payments to the seller.

Does this mean there will be no more 'unpaid items'?

If so, wonderful.

If not, then why would we post an item before seeing the $ in our bank account?

2. We constantly refund buyers via paypal for making multiple purchases/payments because the eBay shopping cart system does not allow buyers to ask for combined postage.

This has been broken for years, our reports to eBay re this have not been actioned.

With managed payments going to our bank account, how would we refund excess postage back to the buyer?

and how long does the buyer have to wait to get their refund in their account?

3. Re Disputes and charge-backs, does this mean eBay will have pre assigned authority from us to withdraw from our own bank account to refund the buyer?

4. I saw on the Restricted Items list once this Managed Payments comes into affect, there are items we will no longer be able to sell. What are we supposed to do with the current stock of these items?

4a.  Is an ashtray able to be sold moving forward? Is it a smoking assessory? 

5.  If a buyer pays via credit card, we get notified and we post. What happens if the credit card payment does not go thru? Whose loss is this? Does eBay remove the money from us? or does eBay wear the loss?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

eBay, please answer basic questions re this mornings Webinar on MANAGED PAYMENTS

@treasuretraders2003 wrote:

Immediate questions spring to mind. Would love eBay's response.

You're going to be waiting a long time, eBay reps don't read here we're just members like yourself.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

eBay do not read here

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I'm slower than I thought (or I type slower than I thought)….not sure which
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

does this mean eBay will have pre assigned authority from us to withdraw from our own bank account to refund the buyer?

They already have that authority AND they know how much money we have in the nominated bank account. They probably know how much we have in our other accounts too. AND they can list your phone number in the white pages as an Ebay number and white pages won't remove it, only Ebay can. Charming hey? They do whatever they want. They rule the world

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:
I'm slower than I thought (or I type slower than I thought)….not sure which

Happens to all of us sandy..............true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I imagine (and I have to use that word deliberately, as there's no way for me to know for sure) there will be many similarities between eBay's payment system and another site's (also starts with an E and ends with y, but has a focus on handmade items). 

With the other site, which has their own managed payment system, payments are subject to clearing just like they are through PayPal - the vast majority of the time it's instant, every so often it takes anywhere from 1 hour to 2 days to clear, during which the payment status is "pending". Occasionally, a payment won't clear and the transaction is automatically cancelled. I suspect that when eBay say they will be guaranteeing payments, they mean cleared payments, not pending ones, in that once they approve / clear a payment, it won't "bounce". eBay have not yet announced the withdrawl of bank deposit as a separate payment option, nor that they are ending the auction format, so unpaid items remain possible. 

The impetus to post immediately (upon cleared payment) is no different to what we have now with PayPal - you can spend that money elsewhere straight away in most cases, making PP more versatile, but if you withdraw it to a bank account it takes some time, so eBay are just saying when the buyer's payment has been made / cleared, your handling time starts now.... 

Also with the other site, you are able to set how often the funds are paid into your account - daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly. From memory ebay will be offering daily or weekly. You will be required to provide bank account details to eBay for money to go into and out of if necessary - if you have accrued funds in your eBay payment account, I expect refunds will be deducted from that balance. If not, refunds will be debited from the linked account. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Its interesting as I think everyone takes different information after watching the same thing.

Digital Ghost, I thought the same as you...

The only thing that stood out to me was in the initial stages of the video. It was the business/ABN side of things. Initially watching it I thought that they would need everyone even the casual sellers to have an ABN etc.... surely not. Or was this more of an indication of how they are going to choose who goes first in the managed payments phase?

Did anyone else pick this up? Or have I completely missed the mark....!

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Amongst the complaints from US sellers who are using Managed Payments is that Managed Payments doesn't allow them to pay their store fees with it. S, they have to find a way to fund those.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

There's no way to pay by credit / cebit card, or PayPal? (If the money from sales is going directly into a bank account, with a linked credit / debit card [required] then the card option and one-off payment method, or automatic payment, would take care of it surely? Or have I missed something? Smiley Embarassed )

@cr.love - I saw in the video they had two options for registration (screenshot below), neither or which are applicable to me as a sole trader with a registered business name but which doesn't have any of the suffixes they list.

Unless I get info to do otherwise, or they implement more options, I will just register as a sole trader, because they will be requiring documentation to support your registration info (if anyone out there doesn't have photo ID, I'd think about trying to arrange it soon).

registration options.PNG

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply